Chapter 8

Nicole's POV

I studied myself vigorously, hoping my now tattered floral summer dress was still a perfect fit on me. I also had on some rosy wedges that complimented the maxi and my skin perfectly. I laid low on the makeup -- winged eyeliner, pink eye shadow, and a few touches of blush -- in hopes of not looking too cakey.

Honestly, I didn't know why I was stressed about how I looked, especially for a man I practically grew up with. Back before Mindless Behavior was even created, I would always be known as the girl who "didn't care" about how she looked. How wrong were they, though. It wasn't that I didn't care, I just didn't have someone to impress. Now frankly, it was a whole different story.

Ever since Prodigy kissed me in front of the paps, I started to feel something.. different. I didn’t know if it was the kiss that triggered it, or if I just started to develop feelings when I knew Roc was striking for Colby. I was completely clueless, and now torn between two men. But either way, the kiss was something special.

"Nicole!" I heard Prod yell for me; he was probably somewhere in the living room. "I'm ready; just come down when you're finished!" 

I yelled an okay, telling him I'd be down in a few minutes. I looked back at myself in the mirror, feeling the adrenaline rush accelerate throughout my veins. 

Guess it was time.

“You look beautiful,” Prod complimented me, lending his hand out to kiss mine. I didn’t know if he was pretending, or if he actually meant it. Either way, I was flushed.

 “Thanks,” I thanked, holding my other palm out to block my tomato-red cheeks.

“D’aw man, look at ya girl!” Ray joked, making me even blush more. “She’s blushing like crazy!”

I saw Prod smile slightly, as if he was blushing as well. At the corner of my eyes, I saw Prince looking fumed, and Roc looking the other direction. 

“So…” Roc rolled his ‘O’s. “Where you guys headed?" 

Prod quickly grabbed my hand, letting his fingers rest between mine’s. “It’s.. a surprise.” He smiled prideful.

Ray chuckled. “Have fun, guys. Just don’t have sex! You’ll get pregnant, and die!” 

I giggled, knowing Mean Girls was something we’d all quote. “Don’t worry Ray, you know me already!” 

He smiled, chuckling under his breath. “Good.”

“Where are we going?” I asked out of curiosity, tightening the grip I had on his palm.

“You’ll see,” he said with a smirk on his face, still firmly holding onto my hand. 

When we left the hotel, I found out we were actually walking to our "date place". Either Prod was too lazy to find a car and drive, or he wanted to catch some attention. The fact that I didn’t know if he was playing with me or not intimidated me. As much feelings practically infested my insides, I needed to know if he felt the same way I did. 

 “Uh, Prod..” He turned to me. “Why did you even take me on this, uh, date..?”

I noticed how uncomfortable he got. He tried to hide his embarrassment by looking across his other shoulder. I felt my heart beat out of misery. I knew the guy for almost sixteen years; I could tell when he was saving himself from being a nervous wreck.

Letting go of his hand, I stopped both of us from walking. “Prod?” 

He stuffed his hands in his pockets, tensed. “Walter thought going on a date would be a perfect way to let out our relationship.” He finally admitted, as if this was all planned, having no guts to look up to me.

My heart started to lessen its own beats down, to the point where I thought I would no longer feel my heart beat again. I was completely shattered. Of course my own best friend wouldn't like me; that would be such a risk! I wasn't beautiful, nor wasn't I talented. I'm just Nicole, your average.

It sucked to be used as a stunt for popularity, but I knew that that was how far we were going to reach. All those kisses and cuddles in public were practically for media purposes. There was no love nor emotion coming from it -- it was all greed and prestige.

I honestly didn’t know what it felt like to be truly crushed until this very moment. As I felt a tear trickled down my right eye, I bit my lip deviously in agony. All of this was just too good to be true.