Since When Is Ice Cream Evil?

"Mary?"

"Mary?"

"MARY!"

Abby began to run up the stairs. "MARY!"

Scott and Susie followed. "Abby, what..."

"I let her out of my sight for one second. Oh my god. Mary!" Abby looked on the concourse. "Mary! Scott find security, Susie please look in the restrooms." The group broke apart and Abby ran down to see if she had just wandered to a gift shop. Her heartrate was spiking, sweat beading on her forehead. It was just one moment that she was distracted. How could she have looked away? As she ran, her mind whirled. She ran back to see a security guard talking to Scott. "Did you find her?"

"No, we're locking down the stadium now," Officer Levinson said. He spoke into the walkie-talkie, calling for a code ADAM and locking down the stadium.

"I need Frank," Abby said, trying not to panic as Susie ran back. "Susie?"

She shook her head. "Nothing."

"Fuck! oh my god." Scott hugged Abby as an MLB official came over. "Did you call for a missing child?" He asked.

"Yes, it's the niece of one of the players, Frank Adler. I'm his wife, Abigail. Our niece Mary went for an ice cream at the top of our aisle, and I turned to look at a play for 30 seconds and when I turned back, she was gone."

"Alright." He picked up his phone. "We need to pull Adler from the game now. It's a family emergency." He hung up. Boston police officers approached the group as announcement for everyone to remain seated is done.

"Ma'am, what does the child look like?" One officer asked.

"She's about 4 feet tall, blonde hair, blue eyes. She's wearing a white Dodgers jersey with the name Adler on the back and shorts. Pink sneakers."

The officer wrote it down. "How old?"

"She's nine. She'll be 10 next month. We've..." Abby closed her eyes. "We've been having issues with my ex-fiancé and her biological mother."

"What kind of issues?"

"She attacked me about a month ago. We have a restraining order against both of them because we wanted to keep them away from Mary. Oh god," she covered her mouth to stop a sob from escaping.

"Abby!" She looked up to see Frank jogging towards her. "What's going on? They said it was an emergency and..."

"Frankie," she took a breath to steady herself, but it wasn't working. "Frankie, Mary is missing."

"What?" He looked around.

"I let her get up to get an ice cream and... it was just a moment Frankie, just one and... she was gone," she hiccupped. Frank drew her in closer as Abby cried. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, it was just a moment." He could hear Scott on the phone with Abby's parents, who were in the stand with her brothers, wives and kids. He blinked back tears, needing to remain calm for his wife.