Pt.26

Xena moved quickly leaping between the floating chunks of earth within the lava as she reached where Gabrielle was curled up on her island of self-doubt.  XenaNow physically beside Gabrielle, Xena crouched down and spoke to her again as she next tried to reach her both mentally and emotionally.

XENA
Come on Gabrielle you have to snap out of it.

It was dark, empty, but somehow at the same time full. Full of pain and sorrow as Gabrielle drifted within the recesses of her mind. She could no longer hear the taunting words of the spirits as she had shut out everything from the outside. But the echoes of everything she'd been saying to herself were still playing loud and clear. With her physical eyes closed, she had tried to desperately escape, but all Gabrielle had felt she had done was find a way to run away and hide.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Nothings changed. I'm sorry Xena but I can't do this anymore. I just can't. I'm not as strong as you. I can't do anything without help. Without you. Please Xena, help me. Make this all stop. I'm sorry,  I know it's not fair to you, but please Xena, I'm begging you to save me just like you always have to do. Please, Xena!

While Gabrielle drifted further into the darkness she began to have another thought.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) But why should she? You know how unfair it is and yet you would still repeatedly ask that of the woman who you're supposed to love. Gods I'm not only worthless but selfish too. Why does Xena keep putting up with me? She'd probably be better off without me. And the same goes for everyone else. I shouldn't even be queen. I should've just stayed in Potidaea. At least then I probably wouldn't drag everyone around me down and constantly need saving. Maybe it would be better if I just left and...

?
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle's self-deprecating inner monologing was interrupted when she heard a voice echo in the distance.

?
Gabrielle, I know you're in there!

It took a moment for the voice to become clear but when it did, Gabrielle recognized it instantly.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

Gabrielle looked for Xena within the darkness but didn't see her.

XENA
You have to snap out of it.

Though her words were fragmented at first, Gabrielle could recognize Xena's voice speaking to her. But instead of hearing them, Gabrielle could practically feel them within her. As if Xena's words were penetrating her very soul.

XENA
I know I've said it before but I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you in my life.

Out of desperation, Gabrielle tried calling out to Xena from the darkness she had found herself in.

GABRIELLE
I can't do this Xena. Please just make it all stop. I'm sorry, I need you to save me again.

Though Gabrielle still couldn't see her, Xena's voice responded.

XENA
You're not the one who needs me.

GABRIELLE
What are you talking about? Of course, I do. Just look at me. I can't do anything on my own. Just like those spirits and gods know how many others have said. (Sad tone) And now I need you to save me once again.