Chapter Six: Waiting for the Dust to Settle

Von awoke. Almost by instinct, he grabbed the pistol that lay next to him. He popped up off the cold floor and looked around, almost expecting a sicko to jump out and attack. Harris lay asleep on the floor, his sword in his hand. Von looked at the window to find Ivory sitting in the window sill.
"So, you've been alone awhile?" Von asked. He was glad he was getting alone time with her.
"Early in the apocalypse, I was with a group. They were all killed. I remember running. I just ran. Nothing else I could do," she said, eyes fixed outside the window. Her pale face looked like grace in the moonlight.
"Same as me," Von replied. He filled her in on everything that happened before they met. She sat there nodding. She occasional stare towards him made him nervous.
"I met a kid named Khan. He was crazy. He had a group of kids with him. Maybe 6 or so. These crazy kids ran into a horde of sickos. I seen them all go down. I traveled for about a week after that. Seen absolutely no one. Finally came across the bank. Stayed there for a good 4 or 5 days. I thought I was alone. Then you idiots busted in bringing that horde of zombies there," Ivory said as she pointed at the remaining horde sickos in sight.
"Yeah. Sorry about that. So you got any family you're looking for?" Von asked, trying to change the subject from his idiot mistake. Harris and him didn't know she was in there though. They were just trying to survive. How was they to know she was in there?
"Got a brother named Matthew. He's 15. He's a tough kid. I figured he'd be around still. If he's anywhere, he's most likely at my parents house. That's where I'm headed," she said. Von could tell she was thinking about her parents. Tears began to form in her eyes.
"Then that's where I'm headed too. I'll help you find him," Von smirked, trying to cheer her up.
"Thank you, Von. I wouldn't be able to make it there alone," Ivory smiled.
"You're a tough chick. I've seen you in action. I'm sure you'd be fine without me," Von laughed.
"Just don't be like your friend, Kahn, and run into a horde and you'll be fine," Harris popped up off the ground.
"You've been listening this whole time?" Ivory asked.
"I know, I know, I'm terrible," Harris laughed, "We better be going through. I'm getting tired of waiting."