Chapter 5. Genius, really!

The Dark Omens performance had been just what Mabel had needed! As the band had smoothly transitioned through their setlist, Mabel had been surprised to experience an occasional flashback. The recollections and insights were brief, yet they were enough to leave her marvelling at what her physical form had been up to, before serving as her host.
Through such snapshots, Mabel had come to recognise that Kristoph Grayson was the lead guitarist for Dark Omens. From her host's perspective, the man had always stood somewhat aloof from anyone, outside of his fellow band members. As she watched the guitarist initiate a riff off with the rhythm guitarist, Mabel concluded that it must have pushed him uncomfortably out of his comfort zone, to intervene when Aden had spiked their drinks.

The rhythm guitarist threw his pick mockingly at Kristoph's face, at losing the riff-off, much to the humour of the crowd. Mabel joined in with the innocent jeering. According to her host's memories, Eric Payne provided backing vocals, rhythm guitar, and sneaky on-stage cigarettes to the rest of the smokers in the band; above all though, he was one of her closest friends. Mabel quickly noticed that each time she looked over at him, he was already watching her and Angel keenly. There was no doubt in her mind that Kristoph had shared the details of the earlier altercation.

As the players drew out the last few notes of the final song, the lead singer Adrian Smyth bid the crowd a safe journey home. Mabel felt her host's body tense, Ade did have a habit of dragging out his farewells, however, he kept this one short and simple:
"From the bottom of our cold, cruel hearts; we thank you all for being the best friends a band could ever ask for!"
As much as the majority of the crowd started to file out of the assigned exits, Mabel rolled her eyes at the few hopeful stragglers who lingered near the barrier with herself and Angel, in the hopes of meeting a band member or two.

Courtesy of her new insights, Mabel knew better. Dark Omens tended to loiter backstage while the main crew started to take apart the elaborate drum set and sweep up the main stage area. Only when it was crew and catering staff left in the main foyer, did they come out and attempt to wind down after a show. As VIP members, Mabel knew that Angel (who had been a fan of the band since their first show in the mid-noughties), would be able to meet and greet her idols, albeit briefly. Casually, Mabel linked arms with her giddy friend and guided her to the bar. The bar staff had shut up shop just before the encore but had graciously left a few of the bar seats out, which Mabel and Angel both clambered onto wearily, grateful to sit down and rest their aching feet.

Angel sighed and leaned her elbows back on the edge of the bar while watching the last of the crowds trickle out of the doors. Lazily, she nudged Mabel, who was mirroring her friend's stance, easing the tension off her lower back; while also scrutinizing the set and considering the most effective way to break it down without it falling to pieces.
"Mab?" Angel's voice croaked, sore and fatigued from its strenuous use throughout the night; "you're the best, y'know?"
Mabel waved away the compliment, "What are friends for?" She grinned, "I just hope you don't walk away with regrets – you know what some say, never meet your heroes."
Angel laughed, the normally chirrupy sound now flat, with exhaustion; "they're not my heroes, Mab. We've been over this. Kristoph is my soon-to-be husband, Eric is my baritone rhythmic best man. Adrian is my uncle-in-law, Jésús is my bass guitar-playing pet dog; aaaand Pete is my drum tutor." She yawned widely, as Mabel rolled her eyes in mock exasperation.
"Of course, how could I forget? I'm sure the guys have all agreed to this arrangement?" Mabel asked, mockingly.
Angel shrugged, "they've not got a choice on the matter. They're dealing with Angel Brown, after all!"
"They haven't a hope in hell." Mabel laughed tiredly.

Mabel tilted her head back and allowed some of the tiredness to creep down her neck and into her shoulders. As she wiggled her toes in the air on the high stool perch, a thought crossed her mind. If this new lease of life provided choices for her to make, would that entail having a family of her own? She cast her mind back to her previous life. Failed attempt after failed attempt at relationships since her mid-teenage years had left her with a somewhat jaded opinion of romance.