Chapter 10: Home Sweet Home

I get woken up by an animal, I widen my eyes as I see a coyote. I scream, and it backs away, then pounces on top of me, It claws my face and cuts my cheek and under my nose. I stab it several times in its side and throw it off of me. It stands up and falls, then gets back up and runs away. "Stupid animal," I say, holding my face.

I stand up, and blood drips from my face. I wipe it off and walk back to the road. I walk down the road and finally walk into the town we used to scavenge. I start trying to run in happiness, but my wounds still hurt. I walk as fast as I can without too much pain.

It starts hurting again, and I begin to limp again. I limp forwards and continue forward. I see the gates, and a smile fills my face. I get closer. "Guys, it's cassie!" Someone from the gate watch yells. "Open the gate!" I hear Hannah yell, the gate opens, and Hannah runs to me. She hugs me, and I can barely hug her back.

She let's go and put me on her shoulder, guiding me through the gate. "Get her some water," she says. "Get her some damn water!" She yells. Someone runs to us and hands her the bottle. She opens it and hands it to me. I take a drink, and she takes me to the infirmary. People are gasping and talking, some crying.

She puts me on a bed, Dr. Johnson replaces my bandages and injects painkillers into my arm. I hear someone running fast towards me, I look over, and Peter is running to me crying. He gets on his knees and hugs me. I hugged him back. He continues sobbing, "So you missed me, huh?" I say laughing."I thought I lost you, " He says, sniffing and bringing his head up. "Me too." I say.

Dr. Johnson walks towards me. Peter gets up and hugs him. "Dad, it's cassie." Peter says. "I know, buddy," he says, smiling. "Now, this is going to hurt like hell." He says. "I know," I say, seeing the stitches. He stitches the scars on my face. "How did it happen?" he asks. "Coyote," I reply. "We're gonna have to come up with a better story for those scars," Peter says. "Coyote attack when sleeping ain't enough?" I say, looking at him. "I was kidding," he says, laughing.

He is still tearing up "Hey I'm here. Why are you still crying?" I ask, comforting him. "Since you were taken, it's been hard," Hannah says, handing me water. "I thought she was killed, and they took her body." he says. "We had a funeral." Hannah says. "How long was I gone?" I ask."Almost a week, " Peter says.

"Well, it's great your back, cassie," Hannah says. "Yeah," Dr. Johnson says
"It's good to be back," I say. "I killed Chris." I say. "What about the rest of them?" hannah asks. "They won't come again." I say, "You sure?" She asks."Yeah, made one almost piss himself

"Can you walk?" Peter asks."Yeah, I crossed half the state on foot," I say. "Can she come home?" He asks his dad. "Yeah," he replies. Peter helps me up and starts trying to help me there. "I can walk," I say, laughing. "I know," he says, picking me up and carrying me to our house. He puts me down on the couch and grabs something. He walks to the TV stand. "What are you doing?" I ask."Just wait, " he says.

The TV statics on and a movie starts playing. I laugh, and he sits next to me. I lay my head on his chest and lay down. He lays down as well, and we watch movies till the sun comes back up. I fell asleep but briefly woke up as Peter picked me up and tucked me into bed. "Can you stay?" I ask."Uh, yeah, sure, " he says, getting in bed next to me.