❈ 8 , barbie's closet

𝐊𝐀𝐈𝐀

I'm second. I stare down at my phone in disbelief, looking up at the names written and then the scores. Ryder Adams. 

Summer and Lily stand outside the classroom, waiting for me. "What was that? Why'd you take so long?" Summer asks.

"I was just talking to Ryder."

"Oooo~" Lily jokes. I roll my eyes playfully.

"What'd you two talk about though? You kinda took a long time." Summer asks as we all start on our way to our next class.

"He... asked me out to this event."

Summer's eyes go wide and she stops walking in the middle of the hallway, I nudge her to keep going. "So you're going on a date!?" Summer gasps. "No! It's not like that. As friends. He just asked me to go with him–"

"Because he likes you." Both of them speak at the same time.

"No!"

"We just friends. Acquaintances. Nothing more or less."

Lily laughs before we all part our separate ways to our own classes. As I get to english class the teacher wastes no time on starting the lesson. I sit in my seat and think, the rational and irrational part of my brain arguing with each other.

Am I really going to go to a fancy event with a guy I barely know?

Yolo right?

No. He's the president's son. You're underestimating how important this is Kaia!

But he's attractive.

But you've only ever embarrassed yourself in front of him.

Yeah, but– "Ms. Davis. May you please answer my question?" I snap out my thoughts. "Pardon?"

"What page are we on?"

My lips press into a thin line. "Page 24. Please turn to it." "Yes Ma'am..." I hear a couple other students giggle and turn to the right page in my book.

Forget all the but's. I'll just say yes.

◂ ❚ ⊱ꕥ⊰ ❚ ▸

I feel bad for not giving him an answer but I really haven't had the time. Finally, I'm relaxing on my bed, out of my school uniform and in pajamas, staring at his contact name.

Summer bursts into my room and jumps onto my bed.

"Knocking? Hello?"

"Knocking is overrated, now tell me more about Ryder." She rolls right past the knocking part.

I sit up, placing my phone in my lap. "Well we actually talked during class today, but we've met other times." I explain every other time we've encountered each other. "And he said there's this event and he wants me to come. And I could see why he might want someone to come. It's like the events we attend with mom and dad."

Summer blinked twice at me. "Then why would you wanna go? I'm not understanding.."

"Because I like these type of events. But you know how boring it would be to go to one alone? I wouldn't want Ryder to be alone. That's cruel."

I just can't help but wonder. Why me? Doesn't he have other friends that he'd like to go with?

"Well have you texted him for an answer yet? It's almost 8:00."

"Well I was going to but your impeccable timing disrupted my plan." I roll my eyes at her and pick my phone up from my lap.

"How do I even start a text message off.." I stare at the empty message form and Summer snatches my phone from me.