𓍯 new roommate 𓍯

It's been three months since Autumn has passed. It is now late September. I am at a loss for words to this day regarding anything about her. Her parents came a month after the funeral and packed all her things, storing them for safekeeping. I cried until my eyes closed for the rest of the night. I slept in her bed for the last month after her funeral. I begged them not to take the last of her in this apartment, but they insisted it would help Mac and me grieve. I should thank them because I couldn't sleep in her room, but I didn't have the guts to leave her bed. It smelt of her, and that was the only thing holding me together during those rough July nights. I started at the bookstore in early September; my boss gave me the time I needed but told me she couldn't wait forever. I needed money; my parents couldn't keep paying my part of the rent that has gone up now that Mac, Sierra and I are splitting it in three ways instead of four.

Detective Elmore came to our apartment every Friday with updates about Autumns case, but when August came around he stopped. There hasn't been anymore evidence, they don't even have a possible suspect. Instead he calls me explaining that he hasn't gave up and hasn't lost hope. I always say the same thing, "Thank you detective Elmore, please don't give up. Give me any updates you can." That's it, each time since the first Friday of August.

° ° °

I lay in bed scrolling through Pinterest, trying to ease my boredom when I heard a knock at my door.

"Aura honey"

"Mac," I whine

Mac walks in, giving me an innocent smile with a hint of mischief in her eyes.

"God, what did you do" I sit in bed, throwing a sweatshirt over my body.

It's fucking cold in this apartment but Sierra and Mac insist on keep it at 65° at all times, no matter the weather. Autumn used to vote with me on 68° but now their vote outweighs me

"So Matthew lost his job."

I couldn't contain it; I busted out laughing
"Oh my that, that is hilarious."

"Aura!"

"Okay, sorry, why? Why did he get fired?"

"He got into an argument with his boss and called him a prick" I could see a hint of humor in her eyes.

I roll my eyes, leaning back against my bed frame

"That sounds like matthew"

"So I was wondering if he, uh," She stops and thinks of a way to phrase the following sentence

"If he what?" I give her a confused look

"If he could move in."

"no." I instantly respond

"Aura, please. Just until he gets on his own two feet again."

"Mac, why? What has he ever done for you that is remotely that nice?"

"He's my brother A" She looks down at her feet, hands held behind her back

"Let me think about it, okay?"

"Okay fine." she smiles softly giving me puppy dog eyes.

I hough, throwing my head back on my pillow,
"Okay, fine, but only until our lease is up in January."

She squeals, "Oh Aura, thank you, thank you" She comes rushing to my side, giving me a ginormous kiss on the cheek

"Yeah yeah, I'm great, I know, now when is he planning on getting here?