Chapter 2; The Stupid Mutt

Shinobu Kocho

I blinked drowsily. Argh. I remembered being drugged. Now, looking a what was going on, I was in the most tight guarded cell in the entire place.

Dang. They took my katana. Well, it was kinda obvious they would, but still.

"Any reports on Muzan Kibutsuji?" A guard asked another one.

"Still gaining more followers. He's gonna be charging into these lands soon enough."

"We're going to be the first to be attacked. Wish it was Kita getting all the attention though."

"I'll take it from here." A raven haired, sea blue eyed stepped through the doorway and nodded to the guards.

"You sure, General Tomioka?" Tomioka motioned the guards to leave.

I watched him carefully. The way he held himself accountable, it seemed as if he was a hashira trained warrior. All this made my blood boil.

I decided to talk to him. Find out why he even attacked Ayame anyway.

"So. You remember who Ayame is?" I asked angrily. 

"Well, you should remember who Yoshio is." He muttered under his breath.

"Speak up you dense muscle brain!" I snapped, a vein popping out on my forehead.

"YOUR KIND KILLED MY FATHER!" He snarled. Gee, never knew he was capable of any emotion. Also, when did he suddenly change the topic?

"How do you have proof we did it?!"

"Who else would've done it?"

"Well, we do have proof you assaulted my grandma!"

He took a deep breath, then turned around.

"Shut up." He said in his monotone voice.

I turned around from him, refusing to speak. What was the point of picking a fight with him? I didn't know. I was just angry.

***

After hours of surveying the cell, I realized three things.

1. Tomioka was in charge of guarding me, and he was definitely taking his job seriously.

2. There is a hollow point three inches from the right corner, closest to the bars. The water flowed down there, taking me further from Kita, but it was still an exit.

3. All the beds are hollow, to conserve materials, so it's like an air mattress. Whoever was here last left a blade in it. Idiots the Minami were. Changing every inch of the cell before switching people from the cells were crucial so they couldn't communicate.

Also, the jail structure was so confusing. But it was fine. I had my plan of getting out. When the people open the door to come into the room containing the cell, it unlatches the sunroof up top. Whoever made this cell was slacking off. Why was this even the strongest protected cell?

"Sir Tomioka, there is a meeting going on. Please come." A guard opened the door, leaving the sunroof to open up a tiny bit. He nodded at Tomioka and he left with the guard. I quickly left a quick lump that looked like a body under the blanket sheets. Other than Tomioka, all the other guards were amateurs. Gripping the cracks as handholds, I pushed open the sunroof. Climbing slyly onto the roof,  I watched the entire meeting unfold, starting with me, a trade to give me back in exchange for an ungodly amount of loot.

Shouldn't I be trying to head home?

Naw, I'll gather some info before going back. Then I can at least be proven useful.

Anyway, asking my father for that much money wouldn't work. No way father would even think about doing that! He hated me. Forever. Always.

Then they talked about the surprise attack on Kita. Oh well, better take notes. I tried not to sift to sleep. My throat felt dry, and my eyes watered at the coldness of the air.

Afterwards, they all went back to their separate ways. I quickly skidded down, the roof slick and smooth. Only to find...

"So, Kocho. Tell me why are you up here?" I turned to see Tomioka staring at me. Uh oh.

Giyu Tomioka

She couldn't have heard the meeting. It was too far away! Well, no one had ever tried to listen from up here, but I knew Kocho was probably trying to escape.

"I-I have breathing issues." It would make sense for a delicate girl like her to have issues like that. But something suspicious was going on. Obviously, she was up to no good. I couldn't let my guard down again.

"Then I'm supposed to be guarding you." I said firmly. I would need someone to go check the cell again, probably Obanai. He was the only one seemingly capable of even doing the task properly. Tengen would be creating interior decorations, Muichiro would forget, and Tanjiro was too busy treating Nezuko to her cough.

Kocho was shuddering-no, shivering in the wind. Hm. Should I offer her my jacket? Would that seem to weird? Wait. I should. If she gets a cold, it will waste our medical supplies. I cautiously crept towards her, sat next to her, and put my jacket over her.

"Ara~ara Tomioka. Didn't know you could be a gentleman." Kocho teased. Of course, I actually try to do something decent and she teases me about it.

I remained quiet for am moment. I was drifting into thought again. I wonder if Tsutako has Salmon Daikon ready at home? It was awfully cold up here. Shouldn't I be trying to get Kocho back in the cell? Why am I even letting her do this? 

"Tomioka. Why." Kocho was asking me something. I turned towards her, but she was already scooting away from me.

"Why. Why did you have to push Ayame into the river." Tears streamed down her face as she spoke. "I spent the rest of my life, living an outcast from my family, spending every moment with a fake smile on my face to conceal how hurt I am my father avoids me, my mother pretends I'm a slug, and me having to know I couldn't save her. Why is everything always my fault!?"

So Kocho wasn't a cheerful, good for nothing.

"Forget about it. FORGET ABOUT IT! You're just an emotionless fool! I hate you even after the day I die!" She screamed, standing up and stomping her foot angrily. I didn't know what to do, so I just stood patted her head. She immediately turned quiet and turned around.

"You're like a dog." I muttered.

"Y-you! If I'm a dog, you're a stupid mutt!" Kocho snapped at me.

"I don't like dogs." I said calmly. "And I don't like you. It's a perfect metaphor."

"Humph! Well I despise animals!" She snapped, and stuck her tongue out and her. I stuck my tongue out in response. Then she tried to grab me but I just grabbed her arm instead and dragged her down from the roof.

"You're going to the pound." I grumbled and dragged her back into her cell.

"THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES YOU TOMIOKA!" She shrieked.

***

"Stupid mutt...shut up Tomioka." She muttered. So she was dreaming of me. Kocho was really pretty when she slept, and much less annoying. I thought about what she said. Was Ayame's death that big of a deal? In truth, the Kita were humans...just like me.

No. Snap out of it Giyu. The Kita are the sworn enemies. They poisoned your father. They killed Yoshio.

Exterminate all of them.

This was a very...meh chapter. Y'all actually reads this crappy book that I just randomly thought of during swim practice?