Wishfully United

Max woke up late that morning.

Her red hair shamefully covering her pale, freckled face as her nightgown seeped down on shoulder. 

In her three years at Nornui, she'd gotten used to sleeping alone. Alone and lonely, wishing Riftan was there most mornings. At least the mornings in which she was able to catch her breath instead of being shoved into classes and libraries. 

Today was the first day in 2 years that she'd fully expected Riftan to be with her. In their shared room, in their shared bed, sharing each other's body heats. 

False hope shredded Max's morning thoughts, as she breathed sternly.

'No, I can't go back to desiring Riftan once more. He doesn't even want me, he said it to my face"

Their last conversation didn't go as swell as Max would've liked. What she assumed was his drunken state haunted her weekly. The fact she got a piece of Riftan's past was rare within itself but to be told the things she did.

"And when she heard that the man had perished in battle... she hanged herself."

She recalled, remembering his cold face as he smiled emotionless at her tear stained eyes. It felt taunting. As if he lavished in great pleasure as he shared his trauma. A memory forever craved in her head. He was able to keep his natural dispassionate look as their conversation morbidly dragged. His eyes told a much different story. For once in her life, she felt the truth. His eyes didn't lie, he was in pain. 

The recollection of it all broadened an empty pit in her stomach. Her head roared with emotion as she fended off her tears. She called Rudis with the ring of a bell with an empty face.It wasn't as cold as her distant husband but she gave any good Sir a run for the money. 

"M'lady, it is late in the evening. Allow me to dress you as the chefs prepare you a midday snack before the commune lunch."

"Commune l-lunch?"

"Indeed. Rodrigo and those who have been left behind to control the castle prepared a small feast to celebrate the Lady's arrival and departure."

"W-we should save the f-food for when the Remdragon Knights r-return."

"Yes M'lady. Enough food will be available for their timely return, we simply want to celebrate the beloved lady."

Max's pale skin turned red as several maids carried in a bath filled with steaming water. Silently leaving rosemary oil and soap beside the large bucket before retreating with a bow. 

Rudis quickly ushered Max into the bath, helping her to roughly cleanse her body. Rudis diligently picked up the pipette before oiling Max's damp curls.

'Beloved? Beloved..."

Max pondered on Rudis' past words as she was dressed in a softess silks. The corset of her burgundy dress connected to two angel sleeves on either side. A knot belt loosely wrapped around her waist as the skirt lied calmly on the petticoat beneath her. The ball gown was embroidered with gold on the skirt, sleeves, and waist. The hem of the skirt matching it. 

Max truly could never get used to the sight of her bedazzled in jewelry and expensive clothes. 19 years in which it was embedded in her head that she wasn't worth such efforts unless it was to establish herself as her fathers would do that. 

"M'lady if you do not like such a dress we can try your green one? Except I'm not quite sure your frame would fit it."

"N-no, no! This is p-perfect! Thank you k-kindly, Rudis."

She hurriedly rushed an answer to Rudis before she could even think of taking the dress off. Besides every other dress would bag at the shoulders and waist.  Contrary to Riftan's beliefs the food in Castle Calypse was much more fat and flavorful. Nornui could satisfy any commoner's tongue will Castle Croix was as bland as the family was. Dropping as much as 10 pounds was a given whenever she would move.

"Shall I accompany you to the kitchen Lady Maximilian?"

"We shall go." 

Max held her chin up high as they exited the room. Rudis following short behind her as they waked through the Castle halls.