Similar Differences

The halls of Castle Calypse were a lot warmer than Castle Croyso. The windows let in lots of natural light, and the curtains almost never closed. The only light that Max could only absorb in the halls of the Croix Castle was through the cracks of the curtains.

The halls of the Croyso Castle weren't empty. They were decorated with the finest sculptures, rugs, and curtains. Anything that could possibly display the dukes' wealth cluttered the Castle. It was out of place. Max was out of place.

Her tattered clothes left over from Rosettas dresses didn't match the overly elegant feel of the Castle. It only highlighted her differences from her family. Household was a better name for those people. Her family is Riftan. Or was.

She didn't fit in the Calypse Castle either. Rudis always made sure she looked as elegant as a white swan. The halls of Claypse Castle were decorated simply.

A bench in that corner, some armchairs in that long blue curtains that barely covered the windows.

Max made sure to decorate it with the Remdragon's colors. Blue and white. She observed the hallways, taking in any difference she could fine. Despite a few miniature that Riftan thought were toys, there wasn't much that she could spot.

"His lordship commanded us to upkeep the Castle was is. Despite a few things that have been removed, we have done exactly that."

Rudis informed as they walked down the long, marble hallways into the kitchen.

"Y-you all have done a g-good job in fulfilling the L-lord's wishes."

Max praised Rudis as the tall doorways into the kitchen were opened for the petite woman.

"M'lady!"

Chefs stopped in their place, bowing politely before continuing their work.

"Lady Calypse, your charioteer charcuterie board lies awaits you over there."

A apprentice chef guided her to her lavish board filled with multiple types of jams, crackers, meats, and cheeses.

"Thank you." She swallowed a lump in her throat before looking at the lavish food.

'How am I suppose to eat all this.'

"M'lady- if I may... charcuterie is just the left over cold cuts from the kitchen. It is a popular dish from the Kingdom of Reach."

(Fun Fact: France was the kingdom of Reach during the Seven Kingdoms time period. I chose not to use the cannon kingdom names.)

"How d-did the k-kitchen discover such c-cuisine so far from Wedon?"

"The Lord and his knights took a military command from his majesty, the King, to investigate strange monster mutations in The Reach along side their soldiers."

"Oh my... h-how long was Rif- the Remdragon Knights down t-there?"

"Only 4 months M'lady, including there travel." Rudis stated as she sat Max down, pouring her green tea.

"And what of the m-monster mutations?" Max queried whilst sipping her tea.

"M'lady so full of questions, please eat before we discuss any monsters."

Max worried deeply. Eating simple crackers and cheese as Rudis stood beside her. 

'What could the monsters be doing now? Is Riftan in danger. Are the knights all well in health?'

She pondered as she slowly ingested her plate. Stopping when her dress became a little more uncomfortable at the waist.

"Lady Calypse, are you unsatisfied with the new cuisine?" A cooking attendant had asked.

"N-no, not at a-all. I'm afraid I am f-full." She smiled softly at the older man. 

The food was quickly token away from her and Rudis ushered her out of the kitchen. 

"I'm sorry the Lady ate in the kitchen rather then the dining hall. Many are preparing for your feast tonight. The remaining Sirs and knights in training will be attending, as well as your Nornui wizards."

"I h-hope the help i-isn't working too tirelessly f-for me."

"Not at all M'lady. We are glad that you have returned healthy. Your departure from Castle Calypse is dreaded by all of Anatol!"

"That is k-kind of you all." Max warmly smiled.

"Where shall you retire M'Lady?"

"What h-has changed? W-what about the g-garden?"

"It is overseen by many gardeners that the Lord hired shortly after your leave to Nornui."

Maxi blushed at the thought of Riftan caring so dearly about her garden. Even if she had left him years prior.

"W-what about Sidina... Annette- h-how are my g-guest?"

"Just fine M'lady, they're in the library if you wish to be with them."

"No, no. I-I'm quite tired. Please, l-lead me back to m-my chambers."

"As wish M'Lady. Will you be attending your feast tonight?"

"Yes of c-course, please r-retrieve me when it is time to leave. I just w-wish to retire for a while."

Rudis lead Max to here bedroom before leaving her alone in her solitude. Everything in the castle was just so different, yet so similar. Nothing truly had changed but something lingered in the atmosphere. It was off-putting, unwelcoming almost.

Was this her home? Or was her home somewhere else? With someone else?