chapter 4: questions and answers

[before, the day kyle died]

sharon *remembering what had happened earlier*:
«kenny: *takes a breath not to cry* "mrs. marsh, i'm really so sorry. kyle was ran over."
sharon: "oh god! how he is doing now!?"
cartman: "he's- he's dead. when the ambulance arrived, it was already too late"»
"oh my god, i can't even imagine how sheila and gerald are feeling now. i'm sheila's best friend, i have to comfort her. but how? it's a tragedy too hard for a parent to know that their child is dead that there's not much to say.."

[at broflovski's house]

*knock knock*

sheila: "i'm coming!!"
sharon: "hi, sheila."

sharon was so devastated because of what happened that she couldn't even look at sheila, so she looked at the floor, sighing trying not to cry.
sheila, by her side, didn't seem sad at all.

sheila: "sharon, are you alright? what's happened? should i worry?"
sharon: "y-you don't know?"
sheila: "know what?? you're worrying me"

sharon thought sheila already knew, but now she had to explain what had happened to her.. and this made her feel even worse

sharon: "actually... yes, you should worry.."
sheila: "oh god what's happened?"
sharon: "i am really so, so sorry sheila. before i tell you this, just remember that randy and i will always be here for you and gerald and we'll try our best to help you guys.."
sheila: "sharon, now i am really getting worried, can you just tell me what's going on?"
sharon: *takes a breath* "kyle.. is dead.. when i picked stan up from school, he was desperately crying, and when i asked him what was happening, his friends told me that kyle had been ran over"

sharon then looked at sheila to comfort her. sheila had blanched, her mouth was semi-closed and her eyes were wide open, as much as sharon had never seen on her friend's face.

sharon: "sheila, i-"

sheila started crying and screaming at the same time, she had never cried that way before. gerald got worried for hearing her crying that much, so he ran to the living room.

gerald: "sheila!! what's happening??"

there was sheila kneeling on the floor, and sharon trying to comfort her somehow

sharon: *looking in gerald's eyes* "kyle.. passed away some hours ago.. i'm so sorry."

gerald looked at sharon speechless and paralysed. that was definitely the worst day of their lives. that day, a son, an older brother, a bestfriend, or maybe even a possible crush, a boy that would've done everything to save other people's lives, had died. a boy who was nice and determined, a very good friend and a thoughtful person. that day, a small and useless town in colorado, had lost one of the best people in the world. sons and daughters die almost every day, but no parent expects their child could ever die before them. where life creates, death destroys. where happiness makes you think things are going to be good forever, tragedies happen. cause, where's happiness if there's no sadness? where's life if there's no death? where's the light when there's no darkness?

[later, when ike came back from school]

ike: "mom, dad, why are you so sad?"
sheila: "ike there is.. something we should tell you."
ike: "i know you adopted me, but i love you no matter what! you're my parents"
gerald: "ike it is.. about kyle."
ike: "what happened to him?"
sheila: "he is.. in the hospital. he's feeling really bad now, and he might.. not survive.."
ike: "that's crazy! i have the strongest brother in the world! i'm sure he'll get better soon!"
gerald: "you're right, ike. he's a really strong boy."

sheila and gerald didn't want to tell ike what had really happened, they wanted him to be prepared for it before telling him the truth.
south park is a small town, and when one of its people dies, everyone knows it in about 1-2 days. usually old people were the ones to die, but now that a 14 years old boy had died, everyone was as sad as they had never been before.
people were looking down and every street in the town was silent. other parents had never been so understanding before, because they had never really thought about loosing their children. that day, this town had turned into an whole big funeral.

[current day, the 29th of october]

cartman: "and why's the window barred?"
stan: "i- i don't..."

[stan's flashback of the night before]

stan's hallucination of kyle: "look at yourself, you caused my death because i confessed to you and then you struggle over it. you're pathetic"
stan: "i-i know r-right?? hahahah i'm such an idiot. since you're not in my life anymore it is all going shitty.. i need to be with you now.."
stan's hallucination of kyle: "actually, there is a way to be together again"
stan: "you're right, as always.."

stan tried to jump down from his window, but his dad, who was right under it, saw everything and grabbed him as fast as he could

[present moment]

butters: "s-stan, i don't think it is good for your health-"
stan: "wh-what do you-"

without realising it, stan was lightning a new flue

stan: "it.. it helps me thinking!"
kenny: "i understand how it feels, stan. in fact, we aren't here to tell you what you can or cannot do. we just want to help you"
stan: "thank...thank you.. but i don't think there's anything you can do to help me"

stan took many other shots while nobody said anything. none of them knew what to say.

stan: "why are you guys looking at me like that!? do you even know what it feels like to loose an entire half of your soul? do you know what it feels like to see your best friend die right in front of you?"
kenny: "we didn't mean to look at you like that. as i told you, we want to help you."

stan took a break from the shots and looked at kenny, for a first moment he didn't feel strong enough to answer, but then he replied:

stan: "and, as i already answered, there's no help you could give me. unless you can resuscitate dead people though-"

as soon as stan finished that sentence, he had the same flashback as he had had a few minutes before, but this time, he interpreted it differently.

[in stan's flashback]

stan's hallucination of kyle: "actually, there is a way to be together again"

[present moment]

stan: *repeating loudly* "actually, there is a way to be together again"
cartman: "are you going crazy or what?"

stan looked at his friends with a "are you thinking about the same thing i am??" kind of look, but his friends clearly weren't thinking the same as him.

everyone: ...
kenny: "why has everyone stopped talking??"
stan: "cause i've just found the right answer to change the rest of my life"