Chapter XIII

Outside the window, birds were chirping and jumping on the tree limbs. I felt gloomy while I was curled up in bed. It had been days nang nakalabas ako sa hospital pero hanggang ngayon ay nararamdaman ko pa rin ang epekto ng mga gamot na tinurok sa akin. 

I sighed and reached for my phone on the bedside table. Keno was bombarding my phone with messages. So unlike him.  

Mario came by a few times and brought me flowers and fruits. He was allowed to go inside my room as long as it was open. He just sent me a "good morning" message. 

I smiled and appreciated all his effort. As for his accursed cousin, I did not return any of his messages or even answer his calls. 

Kasalanan niya kung anuman ang nangyari sa akin. Kung hindi niya sana ako iniwan ng ganun katagal edi sana hindi kami nagkausap ni Nikolai, hindi ako uminom, at hindi na-spike ang inumin ko ng isang date-rape drug. 

Until now, pag naiisip ko ang posibleng nangyari kung hindi ako nakita ni Keno at the right time nangingilabot pa rin ako. 

I was blaming him, but I know I was also at fault. Just because I was so desperate for male attention kung kaya't nagawa kong makipag-usap sa lalaking yun.

"You're blaming yourself again?" 

Dire-diretsong pumasok si Annie at naupo sa aking kama. 

I nodded. "I can't help myself."

"That's exactly the reason why it takes years for rape victims to tell their stories."

Hinampas ko siya sa braso. "I was not raped!"

"Almost. Buti na lang nakita ka ni Keno na pumasok sa VIP room. Like gosh! What were you thinking?" sabi niyang exaggerated pa ang pagkumpas ng kamay. 

"I know. I've been asking myself that." 

"Maiba ako. Kelan mo ba papapanhikin si Keno here? Ilang beses na siyang pabalik-balik ah." she asked na nakataas pa ang kilay.

"I don't want to see him. So.. nevahhhh!" 

"And I suppose hindi mo rin sinasagot ang mga messages and calls niya?"

"You bet."

Nagulat ako nang dumapo sa noo ko ang palad ni Annie.

"Ano ba? Bat ka ba nananampal?"

"Para maging open-minded ka. Iniwan ka man ni Keno saglit sa bar pero siya pa rin ang nag-save sayo at the end. He deserves your forgiveness and you have to listen to his side of the story."

Inirapan ko ito. 

"I'll do that when I'm ready." 

"You have to be ready soon kasi paakyat na siya." 

My sister stood up and brisk-walked to the door as fast as she could. 

"Ciao!" she said smirking before sashaying out of the room. 

Keno gave Annie a nod before entering my room. He was dressed in a plain white t-shirt and khaki shorts. I saw what Candy saw and couldn't agree more. He's hot. Bad boy hottie.

I breathed out to get that thought out of my head. I love Mario, and swooning over his cousin was sacrilegious.

He sat on the edge of my bed, staring at me as if he was memorizing my face.

"I'm feeling uncomfortable right now with you on my personal space and with that look you're giving me." 

I sat down and hugged the pillow in front of me. I was not wearing a bra.

"I'm sorry, Gracie. That's all I have to say." he whispered.

I remained silent and locked my gaze on his. He was sincere, I could tell but the urge to put all the blame on him was too strong. 

"Hindi nangyari lahat nang 'to kung hindi mo ako iniwan." I retorted.

"I know and I am sorry." tipid niyang sagot.

"Saan ka ba pumunta nung mga oras na yun? I mean, I know I am not important for you but I have the right to know where you're at while I was almost gang-raped by those men." 

I could feel my anger rising to the surface. Maalala ko lang ang pagmumukha ni Nikolai ay parang gusto kong sumigaw. 

He stared outside the window before returning my gaze.

"I went outside to meet a friend who needed my help. That's all I can say."

Naiinis ako sa lalaking 'to. Pa-mysterious effect pa. Bat hindi niya na lang sabihin kung sino itong kaibigan niya.

"I know you have a lot of questions in your mind, but know that if I could go back to that night, I would never leave your side again. And, you're important."

Natigilan ako sa last statement niya but I dismissed it. I rolled my eyes. 

"Hindi pa naiimbento ang time machine, so walang kwenta yang remorse mo." 

"So what should I do to make it right?"

I shook my head. 

"Wala na. Tapos na kahit ano pa man ang gawin mo nangyari na ang nangyari. There's no going back to the past." 

"Then tell me what I should do to make it right with you." 

The weight of his stare was weighing down on me. Ano nga ba ang pwede niyang gawin para maibsan itong feelings of hopelessness ko? 

"Who's that friend." I was surprised at my question. Pero wala na akong ibang maisip pa. 

"You're persistent." He muttered. "You'll know when the time's right." 

"Then go out of my room. Pagod na akong makipag-usap sayo." I stated pointing at the door. 

Without saying a word, he stood up, walked towards the door. But before he closed it, he said. 

"Just know I was just trying to protect you that night."

And then he was gone. And I was left hanging and overthinking things. 

In the next few days, nakakalabas-labas na ako sa bahay. Mario had been so supportive and he was always there when I needed him. I was standing outside of the gate waiting for him when a black car stopped in front of me. 

Nagbukas ang passenger side window at naamoy ko pa ang bango ng perfume ng babae. 

I could say that it's not an air freshener.

A girl wearing a pair of cat's eye sunglasses smiled at me. 

"Hello! Where's the way to the airport?" she asked. Her accent made me think of Mario's.

"Just go straight ahead until you find the roundabout or rotonda, then you just go left." 

"Thanks much!" 

And with that, she drove off. 

Tamang-tama namang dumating si Mario lulan ang kanyang Ducati. 

"Hi, princess! Who was that?" tanong niya habang nilalagay ang helmet sa ulo ko. 

"Hindi ko kilala. Nagtanong lang kung saan ang airport." Sagot ko namang umakyat na sa likurang bahagi ng motor. 

Tumango lamang ito. 

"She has the same accent as you." dagdag ko pa.

Naramdaman kong umiba ang pag-upo ng binata. Para bang nanigas siya na hindi ko mawari. 

"Are you okay?" I asked him to make sure na hindi siya na-stroke or something. 

"Ahhh.. Yeah.. Are you ready?" 

"Ready as ever." 

At humarurot na kami paalis.