Chapter XVI Part B

Silence doesn't always equal peace. Ngayon naiintindihan ko na ang totoong kahulugan ng mga katagang ito. I changed my phone number and deactivated all my social media accounts so that Mario couldn't communicate with me but my thoughts had other plans.

I always went back to those happy, summer days. The way he smelled, the feeling of his lips on mine, and the warmth of his body were inculcated in my mind and senses. These were the moments when silence became my enemy.

Hindi ko pa rin sukat-akalain na magagawa niya iyon sa akin. I only knew a portion of what really happened that summer, but details were unimportant especially now that I'm moving on with my life. I cried a thousand tears for that boy and I vowed never to do that again.

Napabuntong-hininga na lamang ako habang tinatahak ang covered pathwalk na palabas nang back gate. Palubog na ang araw at malamig ang hangin. I had my headset on and the song Let Somebody Go was playing on it.

A myriad of colors played in front of my eyes which made me feel that sense of nostalgia all over again. The russet sunset catapulted me back to the hill where Mario and I gave in to that reckless abandon.

Gosh. Why was it so hard to just forget?

Exasperated, I sat down on the only bench available on that part of the field. Natawa na lamang ako sa aking sarili. I was just like this bench. Alone, cold, and detached from anything or anyone except with the intrusive thoughts of the boy who betrayed me.