Chapter 3: Testing

When I awoke that morning in an estate I was given, I quickly changed and put on my cloak, the Kakushi escorting me to the Ubiyashiki estate.

I opened the door to the dining room, and 8 heads looked up at me. Sanemi didn't.

"Hi-"

"You're so adorable Nishikawa-san!" Mitsuri squealed, dragging me to the table. I sat down beside her. We were near the end of the table so nobody was beside us.

"I'll introduce everyone! That's Tengen Uzui, Obanai Iguro, Giyu Tomioka, Shinobu Kocho, Gyomei Himejima, Sanemi Shinazugawa, Kyojuro Rengoku, Muichiro Tokito, and I'm Mitsuri Kanroji!"

I easily remembered all their names, and zoned out again.

"Oyakata-sama will be testing your slaying abilities today," Obanai commented. He looked at me from across the table. "I doubt you'd be able to do much anyway."
"Iguro-san! Have some faith! Master chose her, after all," Rengoku said, drinking his miso soup. "UMAI!"

The other hashiras started to eat, so I did too. We were eating in silence, sauf Rengoku's "UMAI" which he said after every bite.

I looked over at the dessert on the table. Some mochi with bean paste was on it.

"Ara, Nishikawa-san," Shinobu said, picking up a piece of mochi with some chopsticks. She held it out to me. "If you want a piece, just take it."

"No thanks," I said, toneless. "I prefer a specific type."

"Which one? We have lots," Mitsuri gestured. I looked down at my lap.

"Do you have any pink ones with green tea paste?" I asked.

Shinobu's eyebrows perked up, and she smiled. "Yes, we do. Kanroji-san had to specially make them because they are the only type that Shinazugawa-san eats."

I saw Obanai glare at Sanemi from across the table. Sanemi wasn't paying attention however.

He was slowly eating his mochi.

Shinobu grinned. "Isn't that right, Shinazugawa-san?"

Sanemi abruptly stood up, pushing his chair out.

"Fuck you, Kocho."

Sanemi stormed out of the room, leaving Mitsuri stunned. Giyu stiffened.

"He never swears at you, Kocho-san!"

"I know," Shinobu said innocently, but then she smirked. "His mochi is such a sensitive subject. I really can't figure it out."

- - -

"Akina, show us what you can do," Kagaya smiled.

The hashira and I were all gathered near the forest. They'd all come to watch. I looked at Kagaya one last time and nodded. I leapt into the trees, finding a clearing, where there was no shelter in any direction. I positioned myself in the middle, sitting on the ground with my legs crossed.

"What is she doing?" I heard Gyomei say.

Suddenly, demons lunged at me in all directions.

I closed my eyes and simply swung the bright red sword around, following my instincts. When I opened them, all of them were dead, their bodies mutilated, their heads severed and rolling around the clearing.

I looked at the hashira and Kagaya. They were looking at me with awe and disbelief.

"Sorry Master, did you want them...slightly less mutilated?"

- - -

I was sitting with Kagaya for a one-on-one meeting.

"So you tell me your sword actually belongs to another demon slayer?"

"Yes."

"Would you stick with it? I could carve the kanji into a brand new sword if you would like."

"No thank you."

"Tell me about Precision Breathing."

"Well," I explained. "I created this breathing technique by myself. It has 10 forms. It uses technique, no gimmick of visuals needed. Two forms of Precision Breathing, Second Sight and Clear Halo, are not attacks. Second Sight allows me to communicate telepathically. Clear Halo allows me to see into the Transparent World. I can combine techniques if I need to."

Kagaya looked amazed. I kept my head bowed. He did seem like a respectable person.

"Well, Akina, I wish you the best of luck. You are dismissed."
"Thank you, Oyakata-sama. I wish you the best of health," I said, and exited.

As I was strolling along the path, I bumped into someone. I looked up and saw Sanemi. He looked angry. 

"Oi!" He snapped, grabbing me by the shoulders. "Apologize!"

"Sorry," I said blankly, staring at him.

His pupils wandered over my mask to my eyes, and I saw that flash in his eyes again, but it was gone too soon. He let me go, his face darkening. He turned around.

"Go away."

I continued walking, my pinned hair staying perfectly in place despite the cold breeze blowing that night.

***

Sanemi's POV:

I stood still and watched her walk away. I can't fucking stand her.

She had the same eyes as her. She has the same name as her.

I started walking back to my estate, hands tightening into fists.

She looked like the girl who I never saw again.