Chapter 17: Trial

It wasn't really a meeting.

It was more like Gyomei and Shinobu on trial.

The two of them were on their knees on the right side of the deck, their hands bound by nichirin chains.

I stared lifelessly at Shinobu, meeting her gaze. She didn't seem to regret trying to kill me at all. 

Sporting a rather eerie look, she took in my blank expression. "Out of emotions again, Nishikawa?" she snapped. "As expected."

Sanemi glared at her. "Just shut the hell up."

I looked away, eyes glazed over. She's right about that statement.

Sanemi and I wanted to keep this hashira meeting professional, as it was apparently a rather serious matter, so we promised to act that way.

I refocused my gaze on Shinobu. Although I could theoretically reach out for Sanemi's hand to stop feeling void, it may be best not to feel in this situation.

Kiriya Ubiyashiki stepped out onto the deck, accompanied by his two remaining sisters. He stood there with his arms crossed.

"The Corps disbands, and this happens?" he sighed in disbelief. "Although you are all technically no longer hashira, you still need to withhold the integrity, honor, and responsibility that came with that past title."

"My greatest apologies, Oyakata-sama. Do what you wish with this sinful soul of mine," Gyomei said regretfully. Then his head turned towards me. "I am terribly sorry, Nishikawa-san. My actions towards you were inexcusable."

There was a moment of silence, and everyone's heads swiveled towards Shinobu.

"And you, Kocho?" Kiriya suggested, looking incredibly weary at this point.

"I bear no remorse," she said quietly. The hashira all looked stunned, except for Muichiro, sitting to my left, who rolled his eyes, and Sanemi, sitting to my right, who looked like he was going to literally explode.

"K-Kocho-san-" Mitsuri shivered, sitting beside Giyu, who was beside Sanemi. "Surely you don't mean that..."

Shinobu ignored her, and looked Kiriya dead in the eyes. "I don't regret trying to kill Nishikawa. If you untied me, I would try again right on the spot. Gyomei looked at her in the Transparent World, and was stopped by a weird force. Her aura radiates a power stronger than the dead demon king's. It's bizarre not to consider her a monster."

That last word came out like it was coated with lethal poison. I almost flinched at the hostility of the delivery.

"Hey," Muichiro whispered to me. "Look at Shinazugawa."

I snuck a quick glance at Sanemi. He was staring at me with a familiar expression.

Precision Breathing: Second Sight.

'Nemi, I'm fine, I telepathically communicated. That one word can't hurt me.

The other hashira and Kiriya were busy discussing amongst themselves about what would happen to Gyomei and Shinobu, so Sanemi took this opportunity to grasp my hand for a brief moment.

"Liar," he whispered, "I saw you, idiot. You were about to flinch."

My face faltered for a split second, and he immediately noticed, as there was no mask covering the upper part of my face anymore. He squeezed my hand tighter, his eyes filled with concern.

"You aren't a monster. You are the most pure and sincere person I have ever met. Your lack of emotions around other people isn't your fault. Don't listen to that pathetic psychopath."