Chapter 10: The Infinity Castle: We're Alive

"Ready?" Giyu said, narrowing his eyes, holding a wooden sword.

"READY TO BEAT YOUR ASS!" Sanemi yelled back, a smirk on his face.

I leaned on a pillar in front of the estate, content on just watching.

I had become expressionless once again.

Shinobu had been trying to get me slowly acclimated to emotions over the past 2 weeks, but I don't think it helped. It would either end with me feeling nothing at all, or with me passing out and coughing blood.

I felt my heart burn.

Why can't I go back to who I was?

In a couple seconds, they started sparring, blitzing at each other with incredible speed. After a while, Tanjiro came too, and he started watching them as well, taking note of each and every one of their movements.

Suddenly, both of their swords broke with a crack, and they both stopped.

"Fight's over," Giyu said, dropping the broken sword.

"LET'S CONTINUE THE FIGHT WITH OUR FISTS!" Sanemi challenged.

"Hey, let's all calm down and have some ohagi-" Tanjiro suggested, but then an angry Sanemi knocked him out.

"Sanemi," I warned. "For the second time, what did Oyakata-sama say about beating up disciples?"

"Nothing," he fumed. I went over to him and ruffled his hair when Giyu's attention was on an unconscious Tanjiro.

A small but gentle smile formed on his lips, and he patted my head as well.

"Ara ara, Shinazugawa-san, how come you hit Kamado but not her?" the insect hashira said, jumping over the bamboo fence and into the front yard.

Sanemi's ears reddened a bit. "Shut up, Kocho," he said bitterly, his hand moving from my head to my shoulder.

I'd been staying at Sanemi's place for the past couple of weeks, and we were rebuilding our friendship, which surprisingly built fast. We crafted mochi, hung out almost every second of the day (sauf the acclimation with Shinobu), and the day usually ended with us reminiscing over past memories on the roof. He also gave me many apology gifts for the way he'd treated me before we reconciled. 

Giyu turned around at Shinobu's arrival. Shinobu smiled at him, but turned back to us.

 "Nishikawa-san, Oyakata-sama said that you have a mission."

"Yes, it's true," I said, undisturbed. Sanemi gawked at me.

"YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE ME HERE WITH THESE BASTARDS!" Sanemi shouted, pointing at Shinobu. "THIS ONE ALWAYS RIDICULES ME!" He then pointed at Giyu. "AND THIS ONE WHO ALWAYS SPOUTS NONSENSE. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT THE SAME AS US, HUH TOMIOKA?"

I'm sure the hashiras didn't know exactly what was going on with me and Sanemi, but I'm pretty sure they got the gist of it.

A vein appeared on Shinobu's forehead. "Shinazugawa," she said, eerily calm. "Watch your mouth please."

Sanemi opened his mouth to protest, but I shoved a ball of mochi into his mouth.

"I'll be going now," I stated. "The village is an hour away, and I'll only be gone for 3 days."

"Three?!" Sanemi said, eyes wide, gulping down the mochi. "I only had you back for like a week."

"Two," I corrected. I smiled and traced the scar above his eyebrow.

"Anyways, I'll be fine. Send your Kasugai Crow if there's an emergency." I pointed at Giyu and Shinobu. "But they are not an "emergency"."

Sanemi looked at the ground, his face reddening.