Chapter 8: I Know Now

During the next hashira meeting, Kagaya said some mourning words of Kyojuro, but he didn't mention most of the hashira barging into my room the other day.

It was bright today. Muichiro was watching the clouds, and Gyomei continued with his prayers as usual.

"Hashiras," Kagaya said calmly. "Starting tomorrow, you will begin to train young demon slayers. We need to prepare the younger slayers for whatever comes next."

This is probably something to do with Rengoku's death.

"You will each be responsible for your own part of your training."

"Nishikawa only became a hashira around 1 month ago," Obanai gritted his teeth, his snake hissing. "How can we be sure that she can instruct?"

"Don't be so harsh, Iguro-san. She killed two Upper Moons before the sun rose. She's killed the Upper Ranks before we've even killed one." Gyomei boomed.

Kagaya smiled warmly at him, and turned towards me. "Mind if you demonstrate your new form? The Kasugai Crows told me about it."

I nodded and walked a couple metres away from the other hashira, to a training dummy. I drew out my sword. As usual, the nichirin blazed bright red.

"Precision Breathing: Dance of the Flame."

- - -

***

Sanemi's POV:

"Precision Breathing: Dance of the Flame."

The girl gently swung her blade into the air, and her blade caught on fire. In a split second, it heated to the point where it was purple.

She was moving so fast, to the point where it was like slow motion. She spun around on her heels in a mesmerizing dance, and proceeded to lean on her toes, twirling her sword.

She's not your old friend, you moron, I thought to myself. She's not-

A glint of blue appeared on her sword, right above her hands. I peered closer.

A polished sapphire was glistening in the sunlight.

"La la la!" Akina sang cheerfully, running around me in circles.

"Why are you so happy?" I muttered, chewing on some of her mochi.

"Because! Papa made me a jewelry box just for your rock! Mama didn't want him to because he was tired," Akina rambled, almost tripping over her feet. "He polished it too!" She brought out a box and opened it, the crystal almost blinding me.

"I gave it to you a week ago," I grumbled, looking away. "You still have it?"
Akina glanced up at me cheerfully. "Yes! It reminds me of you, 'Nemi! Our friendship is gonna be forever!" she said, puffing out her chest to look bigger.

"I'll always be bigger than you," I laughed, patting her head.

She patted mine back. "Aw man," she suddenly whined, but her face turned serious. " 'Nemi," do you have anyone to protect you?"

I paused, thinking for a second. I didn't answer. Noticing my silence, Akina spoke up.

"Then I'll get stronger so I can protect you! 'Nemi will never be in danger!" she shouted. "Never ever!"

"Amazing, Akina," Oyakata-sama said, pulling me out of my reverie. She sheathed her sword and took her place next to Kocho. I felt my heart pounding inside my chest.

It's actually her. I knew it.

Oh shit.

Oyakata-sama turned towards Iguro. "I hope that answers your question, Obanai. Meeting concluded."