Chapter 5: Flame and Memory

I woke up at 5 am in the morning. Sanemi was gone. He probably went outside already. I went to the washroom and changed into my fighting attire. I returned to the bedroom and grabbed my sword, and positioned myself on the far side of the room.

I started working on an 11th form, a form that could actually create the visual gimmicks, such as water, or fire.

In my case, it was purple fire.

"Precision Breathing: Dance of the Flame."

The room had high ceilings, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I spun rhythmically, my sword blazing redder than ever. I twirled the sword, spinning on my heels. Flames began to form on the blade. As I concentrated more, I managed to turn the flames to blue, then to violet. To put the sword out, I loosened my grip slightly, imagining the flames going down, and as if on cue, the flames dissipated, leaving the original red nichirin sword.

Unsurprisingly, I didn't feel drained at all. I walked outside of the house, and looked around the lively village. I saw Sanemi talking to man. I decided to do some questioning myself.

"Excuse me," I asked, tapping a woman on the shoulder. She whipped around, startled, but when she saw my sword, she sighed in relief.

"Oh dear, sorry about that. I thought you were him."

"Who?" I questioned, expressionless.

"There are rumors of a man going around at night, shapeshifting into different people at will. He replaces them and kills the person he replaced. Then he kills the other person in their sleep."

Shapeshifting demon?  Why is he going through all that trouble?

"Thank you for the information, miss," I stated, before jumping up to the roof, surveying the area.

After a couple minutes, Sanemi joined me. He glared at me.

"Oi, Nishikawa," he said, shooting daggers at me. "Do you have a plan?"

"Yes," I replied, dazed. "But you might think I'm crazy."

"You are," Sanemi retorted, sheathing his blade.

"We are going to bait this demon out."

- - -

When Sanemi was off patrolling, I practiced the 11th form. There was one strange thing that happened while I was using it though. Fresh after I practiced it, I took a nap in the house, but I woke up on the roof, with no idea on how I got there.

At night, I put my plan into action.

Sanemi would wait in the house, the door unlocked. I'd be outside with my sword hidden, dressed as a "beautiful young lady", to try to get the demon's attention. Once I do, I'll sever the head, and get rid of it once and for all.

It didn't take long before I heard a voice behind me.

"Hello, beautiful. Don't you look stunning?" a demon laughed. I drew out my sword, and his eyes narrowed.

"Blood Demon Art-"

"Precision Breathing: Lucid Dream."

I slit across him vertically, slicing him in half, then slit his neck horizontally, cutting him into 4 pieces.

"Oops, my hand slipped," I said. I stared blankly as he turned to ash. 

That was...a little too easy.

I shrugged and sheathed my sword, and walked back into the house.

Sanemi stared at me. "You got rid of him just like that?!"