- 16 -

1672 words

I woke in the morning to my phone ringing. I groggily sat up and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Alana!" It was Sam. Immediately I perked up a bit hearing his voice through the speaker. "Sorry, I know it's pretty early but I wanted to remind you about the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies Festival that's on the beach tonight. You're going right?"

"Uhh, I don't really know what that is... what's a Moonlight Jelly?"

"Oh! Sorry sometimes I forget you're new- you just immediately clicked into place in our little valley it's easy to forget you've only been here a couple seasons," he chuckled before continuing. "They're a rare type of Jellyfish that only migrate past here once a year so we have a little festival and all go out at night to see them. They're really cool! I hope you'll come, I'd enjoy it even more with you there."

"Of course I'll come! I have some things to do today but I'll meet you guys at the beach later."

"Great! I'll see you there- I'm excited," he responded.

With that we said goodbye and I hung up and went to text Audrey.

Hey could I come over later today?

I scratched Toothless behind his ears and going to get my chores done.

Once they were done I grabbed my phone from my overalls' pocket and saw a response from Audrey.

Ofc!! come over whenever babe i don't have work today cuz of the festival seb is over here tho i hope that's fine

I chuckled at her casual nicknames and sent a quick text saying it was okay and that I was on my way before heading up the path to the mountains.

When I got there I knocked and heard footsteps running to the door until it swung open.

"ALANA HI!"

It was Audrey. She wore an old band shirt and a pair of black jean shorts with her usual jewelry and some mismatched socks.

I laughed out a quick startled, "Hey!" and she dragged me inside.

She led me to a hallway behind the counter her dad worked at and into a room at the end.

It was relatively small and she had a lot of stuff. There was a twin sized bed and Sebastian was laying at the end of it. He waved when we walked in.

There were a few dressers cluttered with notebooks, trinkets, perfumes, CDs, and random water bottles and soda cans. There was also a small desk and TV. Her closet was full of mostly black clothes but also had a lot of green and purple. Her walls were covered in posters, pictures, and polaroids and she had a few shelves with legos and records propped up.

"Cool room," I said. I wasn't totally lying because it was super chaotic in there.

"Thanks. I won't even bother apologizing for the mess I didn't even try to clean," Audrey laughed as she put on a CD.

I sat on the desk chair and swiveled a bit.

"Sooo, why'd you wanna come over? Other than the fact that I'm super awesome and you love me so much you couldn't stand to be apart from me for even one day," she said dramatically while flopping down on the bed.

"I don't know- I was anxious about it this morning but now it seems stupid."

"Never. Now spit it out what's up."

"We'll Sam called me this morning and told me about the Jellyfish festival thing and I was immediately like- 'oh my god this is such a big deal I'm gonna die'- but as I said before now it just seems dumb to be anxious about," I said so quickly that it took them a second to process and respond.