Choose Me

4 weeks later

The doorknob jiggles and in walk the boys. George and Gustav booth foolishly grinning from ear to ear as they rush towards us, but making sure to be gentle around my arm as they hug me. They both breathe in the air looking around the house. "Good to be back!" They both shout in unison, high fiving one another and going to their rooms. Bill walks over, kissing Alysa, and hugging her tightly. I look towards the door as Tom finally walks in. He looks at me once, before looking away. "I'm tired." He mumbles to Bill, holding his elbow. Bill mumbles something back to which Tom shakes his head and goes upstairs. I look at bill, his eyes genuinely sorry. "How you holding up?" He asks walking towards me, gently hugging me.

"I've been better." I mumble. He stays silent, nodding. "How long?" I ask him. He smiles at me, but in a sad and almost apologetic way. "Up until a week and some days ago." He looks away as he already knew what my next question would be. "And did he..?" I ask. He shrugs and begins fidgeting with his bracelets. "Bill." I say sternly. Alysa slaps his arm. "Two. But you know." He says shrugging. "It never goes the whole way and I'm never far." He mumbles quietly.

I nod, feeling a large lump form in my throat, and my eyes beginning to sting. I sniffle and begin walking upstairs as Alysa and Bill quietly look away from one another, unsure of what to say or do. My phone begins to ring, but I ignore it, continuing up the stairs. The door was cracked open, as if he were expecting me to come in.

He doesn't bother to turn around. The balcony doors were swung open. He was leaning against the balcony, his hands clasped against one another, as he looked towards the distant city lights. As I close the door behind me and walk towards the balcony doors, I catch him breathe in uneasily. I rest my head against the door frame, carefully adjusting my arm. Neither one of us says a word for a few minutes. I think we were both unsure of what to say. I think we were both finding comfort in the peace.

"Your arm." He finally says. "How is it." I look down at the sling. I didn't have to use it as much anymore. Only when I did too much physical movement on it would it begin aching. "It's better." I finally reply. He nods his head once, standing up and turning. "Great." He mumbles walking past me. I sigh and squeeze my eyes shut. "You can't ignore me forever." I call out.

I hear him stop walking. "It shouldn't have happened." I turn around seeing he's now turned to face me. His eyes were glaring at me, but that familiar darkness wasn't there. No, he wasn't angry. He was hurting. For once, I was the one who hurt him.

"It was in the moment." I say. He scoffs shaking his head in refusal. "The same way I was a moment to you back then?" He growls. "The same way what we had use to be a thing of the moment?" He steps towards me his hands balled into fists. "Just like the fucking song I wrote for you the night I told Austen."

"It's just a moment, right?" He hisses fuming in hurt and now anger. He punches the doorframe by my head. "It's always just a moment with you, isn't it?" He asks through a cracking voice. I sniffle as his words stung. While looking at the ground, I notice a small drop by his feet. Another drop splatters nearby. A thin line of blood was running from his knuckles, down his fingers, on to the ground.

"Is it me or him Juliette?" He asks. I'm caught off guard by his question. I stay quiet watching the blood splatter to the ground. "Juliette I can't do this." He hisses, his voice raw and cracking. I look up from his hand, noticing through the shadows the few tears slipping down his face. "Did you kiss him back?" He asks me. I flinch at his question, opening my mouth to speak. But the words fail to come out. He scoffs through his tears, wiping his face. He tries to speak, but instead he ends up stammering, failing to say what he wanted to. The tears beginning to come down faster. He shakes his head, his face twisted in pain, his eyes squinting as he attempts to hold in his pain.