Chapter 7: Prelude III

[Previously]

"Kaguya, let's go, we have to get out of here, authorities will be swarming this place soon enough. He will bring them back." Kaito said, his voice calm as he watched Yumi brutally murder the caretaker.

Yumi nodded before leaving behind the dead caretaker and jumping into the boat she shared with Kaito.

[Prologue Arc] Prelude III

"Saving a life is not just an event; it's an embodiment of the profound value of existence." - Deepak Chopra

-You Can Be A Hero Too II-

[Monday, July 08, 2080 - 7:52 PM]

"We must return for Tsutomu!" were the initial words that erupted from Inko's lips as the trio's feet met the cold cement.

In an instinctual response, she attempted to pivot and retrace her steps, yet Hisashi's unyielding grasp kept her restrained. Casting a final, disbelieving glance towards the boy, her eyes seemed to convey a storm of emotions.

"Release me!" she bellowed, infusing her voice with an air of authority that was regrettably overshadowed by Hisashi's unhesitating gaze.

The Hisashi Nemuri had encountered just the day prior emerged again, his piercing dark green eyes ensnaring her attention afresh.

"Remember the words of your guardian. It is our solemn duty now to protect you. I shall exert every ounce of my power to fulfill that commitment," Hisashi conveyed, leading her purposefully toward the shrine's exit.

Despite his efforts, Inko persisted in resisting his clasp. "By what right do you declare such a claim? Your knowledge of me is scarcely more than a whisper!"

The clench of her protest met Hisashi's unyielding stance. "The way your guardian regards you, with a maternal affection—it speaks volumes. You possess significance to her, a bond I am bound to honor by protecting you in her stead."

An abrupt crash sounded behind them, sending a whirlwind of dust and fragments into the air. From the shrouded haze, a chilling voice punctured the silence. "She won't be returning anytime soon. Your meeting with her will be imminent," the voice intoned ominously.

As the trio of adolescents grappled with their predicament, their attention turned to the luminous tattoos that adorned their skin. Sweeping away the dirt, they unveiled the intricate patterns etched onto their bodies.

His sturdy shoulders and sinewy arms were swathed in elaborate, tribal-inspired designs, appearing to writhe and pulsate with a life of their own. A cascade of unruly jet-black locks framed his angular countenance, enhancing his rugged demeanor. Dark brown, almost ebony eyes held a penetrating gaze. His attire comprised a sleeveless, obsidian shirt that accentuated his robust arms, complemented by durable, reinforced pants.

"What have you done to Tsutomu?" Inko's exclamation trembled her urge to advance quelled by Hisashi's unyielding grip.

The figure before them erupted in derisive laughter, a note of barely contained mania lacing his demeanor. "I am blameless in this matter!" he declared, extending his arms in a wild, maniacal gesture. "She has been sent to him, the one who rivals the gods!"

Nemuri's voice joined the fray, a cadence of confusion tinging her inquiry. "What delusion has overtaken you?"

The man shifted his gaze towards Nemuri, bewilderment registering on his features. "You stay oblivious? Our savior, destined to descend upon this Earth. We shall become his devoted subjects! His name—Izanagi no Mikoto!"