ch 16

[Ash (EX) has changed jobs to 'Novice Commander'!]

A lively fanfare chimed in, marking my transition to a new job.

Then.

[A 50 percent debuff is applied to your stat growth rate.]

[A 50 percent debuff is applied to your equipment proficiency.]

...?

Hold on, what?

"What, what the?!"

I stared, blinking, at the successive messages. What was it saying again?

"Are you fucking serious?"

I double-checked, and it was no joke. There was indeed a growth debuff displayed on my stats window.

"Cut the crap!"

What the hell was this! Shit! What sort of job came with such a debuff?! Setting a trap like this, that bastard director Aider is in for it...

[You have acquired the trait 'Attack Totem'.]

[You have acquired the trait 'Defense Totem'.]

[You have acquired the trait 'Super Buffer'.]

[You have acquired the trait 'Main Order'.]

[The system 'Party Synergy' is now available.]

I froze, just as I was about to grab a weapon and hunt down Aider.

Messages about acquiring new traits and a system flickered in front of my eyes.

Attack Totem?

Defense Totem?

Super Buffer? Main Order? Party Synergy?

What were these? I opened up the trait window.

[Attack Totem Lv.1]

- Simply by being on the battlefield, you uplift your allies' morale, granting a 5 percent bonus to all allies' attack power.

[Defense Totem Lv.1]

- Simply by being on the battlefield, you uplift your allies' morale, granting a 5 percent bonus to all allies' defense power.

“...”

So, these were literal totem traits. My mere presence on the battlefield provided an attack and defense bonus to my allies.

Moreover...

[Super Buffer]

- Enhances all buffs provided by the commander character by one level.

This went as far as enhancing by one level.

'Isn't this a gem?'

No, it wasn't just a gem. If this buff was applied to all allies, it was outright overpowered.

Just by possessing one character's trait, I could offer a mass increase in attack and defense to thousands of allies.

'So that's why there's a personal debuff.'

The buff itself was overpowered. If the buffing commander unit could also grow, it would be extremely overpowered. Hence, the debuff to growth rate.

Considering this, it wasn't bad. No, objectively speaking, it was pretty great.

'The only minor issue is, I can only equip up to three traits.'

These three traits are useful, but if I equip all three, I can't use any other traits.