ch 14

"From this day forward, you will die on the frontlines!"

I declared it without any attempt to sugarcoat the truth.

"Each week, fresh graves will appear in this cemetery, accompanied by the mournful tunes of the choir."

Despite my efforts to limit the losses, lives would be lost. There could never be a battlefront void of casualties.

But...

"Make no mistake, your demise will cost more than your survival!"

The expenses involved in these funerals and the compensation for the deceased were immense.

Almost half of the income from selling magic stones had to be allocated for this compensation budget.

I had also planned to increase the salaries of all soldiers and mercenaries, but it paled in comparison to the funeral expenses.

Yes, death shouldn't be commonplace or inexpensive. It should be precious and costly, not a fate easily met by anyone.

"So, I will strive to keep you alive. I will go to every extent to save you and thrust you back into battle."

For my financial needs as a lord, and for the soldiers' own good.

They must not die.

They must live.

Survival was the commandment.

"So, don't yield to death easily."

I glanced at Jupiter and the mercenaries. Jupiter returned my gaze with his single eye, his lips sealed tightly.

"Live and earn your wages from me. Don't die and make me foot the funeral bill."

That marked the end of my address.

As I stepped down from the podium, Lucas signaled to the artillery.

-Boom!

The sound echoed...

Above the crimson-hued evening sky, a salute to the brave souls reverberated.

How would the citizens interpret my speech?

The apologies of an inept commander? The money-driven frenzy of a mad lord?

Either way, it didn't concern me.

I would demonstrate it through results. On these beast-ridden frontlines, I was more capable than anyone.

"Now, shall we..."

Smirking, I rolled my wrists.

"Attempt to clear Stage 1?"

***

The following day, Jupiter and the mercenaries fell under my command.

"Congratulations! You've got some impressive new comrades!"

Aider barged in, holding a pile of profiles for the new mercenaries. What a racket.

This was the lord's office.

I was inundated with work. I had to handle city administration duties, even within the game...

'Why is there so much work immediately after I take office? What was the previous lord up to?'

I tackled the paperwork while grumbling. After all, planning for the next stage was crucial now. I had to survive to manage the city.

"We've hired all the independent mercenaries in the city! A total of 114 people!"