ch 26

[STAGE 2]

- Time until start: 9 days 20 hours

The next stage was primed to kick off in just under ten days, yet the wall repairs would consume a fortnight, if not more.

At this pace, the castle walls would be rendered useless by the onset of the next stage.

"Soldiers who escaped injury will commence with the wall repairs tomorrow."

I instructed Lucas.

"Expedite it as much as possible."

"I shall obey Your Majesty's command."

Lucas respectfully lowered his head.

I wished to keep the soldiers on full alert, but the circumstances were such. The wall repair work required haste.

"On that note, what's the current condition of the soldiers' injuries? I didn't receive a thorough report."

"Roughly 50 have been seriously injured, with around 200 minor casualties. They're all receiving care at the temple."

There were scarcely any losses among the regular soldiers. The majority of the combat had concluded during the long-range artillery phase.

However, we did lose four hero characters....

Regardless, we were deficient. As it currently stood, we'd face the next stage with an insufficient army.

"Aider, what's the status of our troop reinforcements?"

"We're arranging to dispatch soldiers from neighboring cities. The scout sent to the headquarters should return by tomorrow."

"So, any substantial progress will only materialize by tomorrow."

While I could interfere in other aspects, the reinforcement of troops was beyond my control.

All I could do was yearn for the reinforcements to arrive. It would be beneficial if we could recruit a good number of rookie mercenaries in the remaining nine days.

"Alright, Aider. Ensure you report promptly if there's any development. Then, Lucas? Let's proceed with what we can in the meantime."

"What can we do?"

Smiling slyly, I winked at Lucas.

"We should make for the dungeon."

"...!"

"We need to obliterate the source of those beasts."

Lucas, his composure slightly rattled, cautiously questioned me.

"Like the previous occasion, will you utilize the teleport gate to the Black Lake?"

"Precisely, Lucas. But this time, we're heading straight underneath the lake with our team."

Under the lake.

Straight to the epicenter of the teeming monsters.

It was the moment to switch the game genre from tower defense to dungeon offense.

"Lucas! Summon the main team."

Still grinning, I clapped my hands together.

"Finally, it's time for an adventure."

In other words...

It was time for leveling up and item farming!

***

I rallied the team members.

We would rest today, then delve into the dungeon tomorrow morning. It was time to gear up.