51

I swiftly laid out a brief plan of action.

The tactic was uncomplicated. I would intentionally aggravate the Mimic, and when it swallowed me, Damien would defeat the creature and rescue me.

During this spectacle, Evangeline would surely find humor in my predicament.

Observing me, the emperor, acting more foolishly than her slip on the oil, would surely ease her embarrassment.

"Aha, I understand."

Damien immediately gave a nod of approval.

"But, um..."

Soon after, he tilted his head in confusion.

"Why would you want to do this?"

"Huh?"

I paused, caught off guard.

"I get the reason, but is there any need for you, Your Highness, to belittle yourself like this?"

"..."

He was right, why indeed.

No one had tasked me with this, nor would Evangeline side with me just because I made a fool of myself.

After a moment's consideration, I shrugged my shoulders and answered off the top of my head.

"Well... making someone laugh while I'm messing around is kind of my forte!"

Being a streamer was my primary gig.

If I could induce laughter by bumbling around and suffering during a live broadcast, it was worth it. That was my mindset.

"..."

Damien cocked his head, seemingly unable to fully comprehend.

Grinning back at him, I mimicked his action and cocked my head too. Your guess is as good as mine, buddy.

***

My slapstick tactic was a triumphant success.

As soon as I made contact with the treasure chest, lanky arms and legs sprung out from the sides of the box and ensnared me.

As the chest unhinged itself, a mouthful of razor-sharp teeth glistened from within.

"Woahhh! Shit!"

A lengthy tongue shot out from the box and slithered across my face. My shriek was genuine horror, not an act. This was not pleasant!

The Mimic's elongated tongue unfurled like a frog's and coiled around my body.

Held aloft in mid-air, I was propelled straight into the gaping maw of the Mimic...

Toukang! Toukang-!

...but not quite.

Damien squeezed the trigger in rapid succession. The initial shot struck the Mimic's tongue, the subsequent one lodged in the creature's body.

Kiieek!

The dying Mimic let out a final screech and fell silent.

My plummeting body was intercepted by Damien. Thud!

"Ahh!"

"Ugh!"

Evidently, Damien wasn't a brute force type but a nimble sniper.

Unable to support my weight from the fall, he collapsed under me, rolling onto the ground.

"Your Highness?!"

"Oh, dear, Your Highness! Are you alright?"

No sooner had I fallen, the other party members converged, only to fall silent at the sight of me.