And Two Became Three

As expected when taking a road trip with a ten year old, the ride was never quiet for long- if at all.

"Are we there yet?"

In the beginning I found it rather funny- the kid reminded me of James in our first year when we were riding the train to Hogwarts. 

Two and a half hours in; I no longer found it funny.

Emma let out a long sigh, rubbing the sides of her head. "Nope. Haven't gotten much closer than the last time you asked kid."

"Oh, how long ago did I ask?"

I grunted, eyeing him in the rear view mirror as I drove. "Not even ten minutes kid."

"Oh."

There was silence for a brief moment, before the kid opened his mouth again "Can we-"

"Oh, what's that? Your'e feeling sleepy? Why don't you take a nap kid?" I interrupted, twitching my fingers on the wheel and watching in satisfaction as the kid slumped over; asleep.

Emma turned and looked at me, a mildly disapproving look on her face. 

"Don't tell me you weren't hoping I'd do that." I said, quirking a brow.

Emma merely sighed, leaning back into her seat.  

Sensing there was something she wanted to say, I waited. 

"Am I the worst person ever for considering sticking around with him for a while?"

I eyed her curiously, "Why would that make you a bad person?"

"I don't know," she sighed, "It's just... I left him, you know? I wanted to give him his best chance. But here he is ten years later knocking on our door wanting me to go home with him." 

She shook her head, "I would understand if he was older and wanted to find me- if only so he could curse me out for leaving him. But Emry," she sniffs, looking at me sadly. "He's only ten. Ten! Did I make a mistake? Would he have been happier with me?"

I frowned, but before I could respond she continued.

"Is there anything you can do? Can your stick read the future and tell me if I made the right choice?"

Emma frowned as I turned off onto the next exit.

"Wait, where are we going? I thought we were going to keep driving until we got there?"

"We are. I just think you and I need a strong cup of coffee to get through the rest of this drive."

As we pulled into a drive threw line I turned to face her "And for the record, I think you did what you needed to at the time, and that gave him his best chance. Not the mention, you asking me to use my magic for something like this is unusual for you."

She gave me a weak smile, "I'm guessing that means that your stick-"

"Wand."

"Whatever. It can't help me?"

I shook my head, "That gets into the art of divination. Unpredictable and flimsy guesswork at best."

"Like fortune tellers?"

"Pretty much."

Emma sighed once more, eyeing the kid in the back "You don't think he went to a bad home, do you?"

"I don't think so, but just to be sure.." I glanced around the parking lot, nobody seemed to be paying attention to us and we were still waiting to order. I turned around with my wand in hand, casting a diagnostic charm over the boy.