Unsettling Things

Emry awoke to an unsettling feeling magic.

What kind of magic Emry wasn't sure, but it felt vaguely like a cloaking spell, just more powerful. More in-depth. She couldn't put her finger on it, it was just weird. 

Shuffling out of the full bed that she and Emma had crammed into, Emry grabbed some clothes and decided to take a shower. She shook her head at herself as she adjusted the waters temperature and hopped in. The idea that she could scrub this feeling away was a silly one, but like an itch she couldn't help but scratch she felt the urge to try. Needless to say it didn't work. 

She got dressed and had just finished applying some makeup when she heard a knock at the door. 

Wincing at the appearance of her still very red skin, Emry swiftly grabbed her wand and slid it into her back pocket before opening the door. She was greeted by an amusing amount of red apples. 

"Did you know that the honeycrisp tree is the most vigorous and hardy of all apple trees? It can survive temperatures as low as forty below and keep growing. It can weather any storm. I have a tree that I've tended to since I was a little girl. And to this day, I have yet to taste anything more delicious than the fruit it offers."

Emry gave the Mayor an odd look as she took the two apples that she offered her. "Thanks..."

"I'm sure you two'll enjoy them on your drive home."

Emry hardly suppressed a smirk, "Actually, we're gonna stay for a while."

The Mayor dropped her tense smile, "I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Henry has enough issues, he doesn't need you two confusing him."

"All due respect, Madame Mayor, the fact that you have now threatened us twice in the last twelve hours makes us wanna stay even more."

"Since when were apples a threat?" 

"I can read between the lines." Emry said, eyes narrowed. "Sorry, we just wanna make sure Henry's okay."

"He's fine Miss Swan-"

"It's Potter."

The Mayor blinked, "Excuse me?" 

"It's Emry Potter. Emma's just a good friend of mine." 

The Mayor shook her head, "Fine, Miss Potter, He's fine. Any problems he has are being taken care of."

"What does that mean?"

We both turned as Emma walked up next to me. "It means I have him in therapy. It's all under control. Take my advice, Miss Swan, only one of us knows what's best for Henry."

"Yeah, I'm starting to think you're right about that." Emma said with a smirk.

"It's time for you to go." She snapped.

"Or what?"

The Mayor took a threatening step forward, and my hand immediately fell to my wand. "Don't underestimate me, Miss Swan. You have no idea what I am capable of." She quickly turned around and stomped down the hall, disappearing from our sight as she turned the corner. 

I closed the door and let out a breathy chuckle, "What a bitch, am I right?"

~

Not long later we made our way down to the diner. I headed to the counter to order and wait on our food while Emma found a booth for us and sat down. 

Before I had the chance to order, I heard Emma's confused voice. "Thank you... but I didn't order that."

"Yeah, I know. You have an admirer." The waitress said cheekily, throwing a wink Emma's way before heading behind the counter. I rose a brow, impressed, as Emma walked past me with a hot cocoa with cinnamon, her favorite, and placed it before the sheriff. I turned back to the counter as they started their banter, snickering as I caught Henry staring at them a booth down with a disgruntled expression on his face.