Chapter 2

The peaceful aura of the Shiv temple seemed surreal when there was so much chaos around. Sreeshanvika sat on the steps of the temple lost in her thoughts.

Since her parents died, she had faced nothing but misery. A smile adorned her face as the memory of her childhood surfaced. They were a happy family. Everyone in the Samuday respected her father, the Upagrya, closest and most trusted men of Adhiza. Her mother was a Vaidya (healer). The soft gentle touch of hers had healed many and got their blessings. She had a little brother too. The perfect family.

Until that fateful day. The day started as any other. She woke up hearing her mother's soothing voice. They had breakfast together where her father promised to take her to the park later. Her brother was whining because he wanted blueberry pancakes. She then went to the school holding her father's hand. He bent down and kissed her cheek like always before she went inside. Everything was normal until it wasn't. Until her mother never showed up to pick her up. Until she waited for hours and still no one came looking for her. Until she made her way home alone with a tear stained face only to find the house empty. Until Adhiza came in their house and told an elder to look after her as she no longer had her parents to rely on. Until he told her that her parents and brother were gone forever and they were not gonna return.

"What's the Krishna devotee doing in Shiva temple?" Asked a voice that was known to her all too well. Sreeshanvika turned to find Uma there. In this whole Samuday if anyone gave a damn about her it was Uma. The lady had filled her void somewhat after her parent's sudden demise. She was the one who made sure she was taken care of and not rotting at some hellhole.

"Acharya says it doesn't matter which form of the God we worship. What is important is to make sure we do it full heartedly."

"Fair point. That's why I don't worship either of them."

"You should. What answer will you give when you pass away to the other realm?"

"Girl, I am already going to be countable for the sins of a body I have yet to met. I'll do fine being quiet."

Sreeshanvika fell silent at that. Uma had refused to take a chosen mate in all these years and remained mateless to this day. As per the curse given to their ancestor, purebred Vrikajinas were supposed to be immortal. But the tainted ones immunity and strength kept decreasing with time. Though they lived a long life, they were nowhere near immortality. When they remained mateless for a long while, their mind lost its sanity and they succumbed to darkness. Those were called Vatul (insane/ turning into a mindless beast who preyed on innocents) and had to put down.

"Is it worth it? The wait that may never bear fruit?" Sreeshanvika asked.

"(Mithunatva Mahadev ka diya ashis hai. Toh vala unka ashis ki pratiksha mei anucit kya ho sakta hai.)

Mating is the blessing of Mahadev. Then how can the wait for that blessing be not worthy."

"You may never find your Mithun (mate)."

"Not never. Remember we will be reborn. Again and again until the soul is united with the body. Who knows what my count already is! And I don't want to keep it increasing. I know, most werewolves have lost touch with our dynasty and purpose. But I am looking at the bigger picture here." Uma said with a smirk, but Sreeshanvika saw the sadness that reflected in her eyes. This lonely existence wasn't easy to bear. Among she-wolves the tendency of suicide and self-harm was higher as they turned Vatul. These days she was afraid of losing Uma to darkness. The she-wolf even though didn't look a day older than 30 had already spent 173 lonely years on this earth.

"(Maine suna hai ki yoh murkh Dushyant tumse mithunatva ki eccha rakhta hai?)

I heard that fool Dushyant wants to mate you?"