INNOCENT

Amara

The sun had just peaked over the trees and here I was standing in-front of the prison cell entrance.

Last night after my discovery I had a pack meeting, getting everyone up to date on what occurred last night.

We got a final number of the pack lives lost, and those who were injured.

Thankfully Neema was doing well and was healing fast.

I let the pack in on everything except the circumstances for which I had to get Lina back.

As far as they know she was taken last night to a safe bunker until we knew exactly what we were up against.

If I told them she had been taken, and I was going to get her back, my life in exchange for her life the elders would never allow it, and the pack would be in chaos.

I couldn't have that.

To the elders no one was more important than the Alpha, and they would never let me give myself away not even for Lina.

Plus, I knew my warriors would never let me go alone. Especially not Neema.

I had told the same story to Neema but I could tell she wasn't buying it. As far as she knows, after she passed out we caught the guys trying to take Lina out the pack territory, and brought her somewhere safe.

I hated lying to her, but I knew she would never approve me offering up my life. She would go mad trying to come up with a plan before nightfall and we would run out of time.

I wouldn't risk Lina's life if they found out I brought company, and I couldn't risk anymore lives of my warriors.

She was already beating herself up for not being able to protect Lina, and I couldn't tell her she was gone.

It would break her and she had been broken enough. We all had.

Neema would be a great Alpha once I was gone, probably even a better sister to Lina than I could be. They would be fine without me.

As I stepped into the prison cells, I nodded for one of the guards to open the cell door the beta was behind.

It seemed like he was still passed out from earlier, the silver chains on his wrist to blame for his weakened state.

Walking closer to the beta with a bucket of ice cold water I grabbed on the way over, I splashed it on his face.

"Rise and shine sweetheart I have questions that need to be answered"

In a fit of coughs, sputtering up water he finally regained his breathe,
slowly opening his eyes craning his neck upwards to look me in the eyes.

It seemed that his cocky persona had quickly found its way back to him as he now wore his infamous smirk again.

"Is that a way to treat your guests?"

I really didn't have time for this shit. Time was running short and my temper was shorter.

Stepping closer to him I grabbed his jaw sinking my nails into his skin.

"I know your Alpha left your here on purpose, so that must means you let me capture you on purpose. By now you must also know he took my sister and the only way I can get her back is to give myself up. I don't know what fucking sick game he's playing, but I'm over it. Your gonna tell me all you know, or go back to your mate with with no head."

He stopped smirking, ripping his jaw from my grasps, looking me dead in my eyes with all the bitterness and hatred he could muster. "Then you also know that you can't get to her without me. You kill me and she's dead."

I clenched my fist. I could not show how much  his words were pissing me off but he was right.

"He never said anything in the note about hurting you though did he?" And with that I sent a fist to the side of his face making his jaw snap to the other side

"As much as I would love to have a heart to heart with you I need to know all the info I can about your alpha and his plans, so you can either willingly give me the information or I can send you back to your mate dickless."

His smirk was now replaced with a deadly glare pointed directly at me as blood dripped from the side of his mouth.

"Alpha Volkov,  Alpha of the shadow crest pack. That's who you pissed off."

The name was familiar but I couldn't exactly remember where I heard it from.

"You killed some of our best warriors, who tried crossing though your territory a little over a year ago. Before that you killed several groups of our warriors trying to get to other trading packs, that your land lays in front of. We asked for safe passage, and you agreed just to slaughter them when they arrived."

He was seething now, venom coming off of every single word.

"Does that ring a bell now? Alpha."

I could feel the hatred and malice leaking from his words all directed at me.

I didn't understand though. My warriors were only instructed to kill those who threatened our borders and safety of the pack, along with rogues we saw hanging to close to the borders.

No one was killed on our territory without me knowing. We might off been ruthless, but we only killed those who deserved it.

I looked I'm in his eyes, trying to find any signs that he was lying or full of shit.

Nothing.

He wasn't faking it. Whether it was true or not he believed I was responsible for the death of his pack members.

"Look I don't know what your alpha thinks I did, but it wasn't me. You've got the wrong person, my warriors don't attack unless I give the okay. I haven't heard anything about wolves trying to cross through any of my borders. And as far as your alpha trying to establish safe passage for his warriors, I told Alpha Valkov his warriors could pass through as long as they stayed in the east side of the river . He never got back to me on the issue and I haven't heard anything since, so I assumed everything worked out."

The beta scoffed at this. "Your so fucking full of it. Everyone knows how ruthless your pack is. You train your warriors to kill without mercy. If you think for a second I'd believe anything that comes out your fucking mouth over my Alphas word your dumber than i thought. And the reason you haven't heard from Alpha Valkov is because he's dead. His son, Dimitri Valkov took over. He's the one who planned the attack and took your sister. He's convinced your the one who has been killing our warriors, regardless if you did or not it doesn't matter. You'll meet him by the full moon or your sister dies. Her life or yours. You choose."

Glaring down at him, it took everything. It to rip his heart out right there. If he had a issue with me he should've came at me directly. Coming for my sister was a low, especially for an Alpha. I'd make him pay for it, even if it cost my life.

Before turning around and leaving I asked one last question.

"What's your name."

It was silent for a while and I was convinced he wasn't going to answer so I turned on my heels and began walking up the stairs from the basement.

When I got to the last step, that's when he spoke.

"Jace" he said through gritted teeth "beta of the shadow crest pack".

His name sounded familiar too for some odd reason. Maybe I was just having some weird deja vu today.

Finally closing the basement door I told the guard not to let anyone in except me. I didn't need my beta coming down here snooping around, and finding out about my plans to give myself over from the prisoner. I had a feeling he had a big mouth.

This was gonna be a long fucking day.