SB24

Dakota Smith

11:25 am - November 29th 2023

Dakota was running a little late to work this morning, but it was all for a good cause. Since she was already late, she stopped in the mailroom to see if she had any mail. Just as she thought, she didn't have too much, but she did notice a small greeting card. Curiosity got the best of her and she decided to open it up right then and there. Using the acrylic nail on her thumb to break the seal to reveal the small card, slowly she pulled it out in confusion. On the greeting card was a photo of Brittany, her husband, and her kids. Wishing every one a happy thanksgiving. Knowing Brittany, she had this scheduled months ago, and it was too late to remove Dakota from the mailing list.

Dakota continued to eye the photo for a second wondering what she should do. One side of her wanted to leave it in the mail room, while the other side of her felt like that was super heinous since her children were on the card. A fight didn't make Dakota's love for Brittany go away. She loved her, she just didn't fuck with her. Dakota grabbed her phone and quickly snapped a picture of the card.

Attachment: 1 image
Your bestie sent you one too?

Dakota stuffed the picture into her purse, coming to the verdict that she didn't want a picture with the kids on it randomly floating around. Dakota grabbed the rest of her mail and walked out of the room. It wasn't long before her phone started to ring with a call from Paris, which made her chuckle in advance.

"Hello." Dakota greeted, putting the phone up to her ear. "I ain't been checking my mail...the babies look cute, though." Paris replied to Dakota's text verbally, kicking off the conversation. Dakota pulled her key out of her purse and she approached the parking garage.

"They do...they the only reason I ain't leave the damn card in the mailroom." Dakota truthfully spoke as she hopped into her vehicle, immediately locking the doors once she closed her door. "If she sent me one, I'll take it to my mama house. She don't give a damn if she ain't talked to you in years, if she get another picture for her keepsake boxes." Paris replied, making Dakota lightly chuckle. She closely recalled Paris' mom lugging around a digital camera on her wrist throughout their childhood, so she could take pictures at every important event and milestone.

"Did you pull a stick out the cup for movie night tomorrow?" Dakota questioned, as they were scheduled to have another one of their movie nights. "Let me do it right now." Paris replied as she walked out of her bedroom and into her living room. Dakota listened as she vigorously shook the cup before announcing that she was about to pull a stick.

"Brown Sugar." Paris announced. Dakota slightly made up her face while nodding her head. "Or should we watch a Christmas movie?" She questioned.

"Yesss—and we can wear Christmas pajamas while we watch the movie." Dakota happily suggested. "We might have to do this later on in the week then, cause I gotta go get me some Christmas pajamas." Paris warned.

"That's fine." Dakota assured, trying to recollect if she needed a new pair as well. "Cause bitch, I been sleeping in my Christmas pajamas all year." Paris spoke, making them both laugh. After about 10 minutes later, Dakota arrived at the flower shop. She ended her call with her friend, since her hands would be occupied as she walked through the doors.

"Surprise!" Dakota called out as she walked in, catching the attention of Nas. Although he was confused, he still held a smile on his face as he helped Dakota with the items in her hands. "I got you a cupcake and a gift to celebrate your first customer." Dakota smiled. Nas pecked Dakota's lips before pulling her into a tight hug.