Chapter 15

Curiosity is one of Kim's biggest strengths. His curious nature allowed him to uncover lots of truths and mysteries, even the dirtiest ones that his highly esteemed family had. It was also his curiosity that allowed him to see Pete-to get to know him beyond his easy-going persona and discover what lies beneath those plain uniforms (literally and figuratively). He could say that curiosity led him to Pete, his first love.

To Kim, Pete was a fascinating enigma he was so driven to uncover. He considered him the most intriguing mystery he had come across-a beautiful paradox hidden in plain sight because of his ill-fitting bodyguard suit and dimpled smile. But it didn't slip past Kim's scrutiny.

It started as a simple fascination, with Kim seeing the different sides of Pete when he's in the compound and when he's on missions. Kim was enthralled by the way the older man seemed to be two different persons in those two different sittings.

How can such a soft, fragile-looking man be so vicious and cold-hearted when torturing spies?
How can such a ruthless man be so gentle and kind when he's around with people he cares about?
Kim truly marveled at Pete's duality.

It was not his plan to get close to Pete. But the longer he observed and stalked him, he suddenly felt envious of the people that the older man had let into his tiny bubble. He felt envious of the way they could easily see his smiles, how they could casually come close to him, and how they could bask in his warm and welcoming presence. Kim wanted that, too. And so he did everything for Pete to notice him.

It wasn't a smooth transition from being a stranger to being someone Pete cares about. But looking back, Kim thought for the first time in his life, that swallowing his pride to get Pete's attention was all worth it in the end.

Being with Pete is easier than breathing. They easily fell into a rhythm and Kim reveled under his attention. He loves the way the older man nagged him but still fondly smiles when he says those cheesy pickup lines. He loves the way he blushed when Kim would tell him he's beautiful. He loves the way Pete's ears would turn red when he teases him. He loves how he was so patient and understanding to him.
He loves everything about Pete.
And that's when it hits him.
He loves Pete.

He can still vividly remember their first kiss. It was after his first big concert and they stopped at a private bar to celebrate. Kim was still buzzing with energy and he couldn't stop grinning.

"I'm so proud of you," Pete says, looking at Kim with pride and adoration and he felt his heart swell with warmth.

"Thank you, phi. I didn't know I'd make it this far. Thank you for putting up with me." He replied and they both ended up laughing. He was beyond grateful for the older man because he'd been around to help Kim from the very start of his music career. Pete had been an all-around aid, from being his bodyguard, assistant, listener, friend, and number 1 supporter. Yes, Kim had already considered Pete as his friend. However when he thinks about it now, being just Pete's friend didn't sit quite well with him.

"Something's wrong, Kim?" He heard Pete ask in a worried tone. He didn't notice he was frowning at the thought. He stared at Pete's concerned face, brows furrowing as he stared back at Kim. He looked different without his bodyguard suit. If Kim didn't know him personally, he'd never guessed that Pete works for the mafia. He looks younger and more carefree, and so so pretty. His eyes traveled down to Pete's lips and he briefly wondered how those lips would feel against his.

Kim rapidly blinked his eyes at his thoughts. What the hell was that?

"Kim? You must be tired now. Come on, let's go home." He heard Pete say again but he can't move his eyes away from his lips. Worried by his lack of response, Pete leaned to him, his face moving closer to his. Gently, he cupped Kim's face and looked at him intently.

"Are you okay?" He asked again and Kim wanted to thrash at how innocently Pete made his heart rattle against his ribcage so hard he was afraid it might jump out of his chest. It's so unfair.

"Kim, you're starting to scare me. Tell mmm-"

It was the first time that Kim had lost his self-control. And if his father had known that he had, he'd probably lecture him how important it was to not let it happen. But his father was not there and Pete's lips looked so tempting he couldn't help but have a taste.