Chapter 16

The kiss was the turning point of their relationship. Pete was hesitant at first, arguing that Kim was still young and maybe he was confused. He also reasoned that they have a 3-year gap, which might be an issue. But the younger man was adamant in pursuing him, and it became blurry afterward. The next thing he knew, the young mafioso and superstar was already his boyfriend.

Since then, Pete's routine had included movie nights with Tankhun, missions with Kinn, stolen dates with Kim, lounging at his apartment when Kim calls him for 'duty,' and sneaking out when his superstar had a concert.
Throughout those days, Pete felt like he was the happiest and the luckiest man in the world. That went on for a good year until, slowly, everything changed without him noticing.

It started so subtly. Kim began having 'more' projects and spent more time away from Pete's radius. Then he'd become distant little by little. Sometimes he'd get so cranky that Pete's patience was tested. Other times, he'd come to his apartment drunk and pick a fight out of trivial things. And through it all, Pete had endured the hurtful words and actions Kim had done to him.

Pete told himself it was probably part of Kim's adult transition. It was perhaps the stress and pressure he felt on his career and birthright as the youngest main family heir. But somewhere in the back of his mind, a nagging thought keeps telling him that something is wrong. But he doesn't know what or why. So he just stayed with Kim and embraced all the flaws and rough edges that the younger man had shown him. After all, he loves him so much. And loving someone is all about acceptance and sacrifices, right? So he stayed.

Kim wasn't always in a bad mood or distant. Sometimes, between sobriety and extreme drunkenness, he'd hold Pete close and whisper sweet nothings to his ears. He'd kiss his worries away, and in those moments, Pete would glimpse the version of Kim that he had known before. The one that made him feel loved and cared for, the one that made him believe that he deserves all the good things in life.

With the sudden change in their dynamics, fighting and crying was inevitable. Pete and Kim would find themselves screaming and shouting at 2 a.m., trashing the apartment, breaking things, and saying things they don't mean to each other. But after those fights, they'd find themselves holding each other, apologizing, and mending what has been broken. They'd lick each other's wounds, and as the sun went up, they hoped they would survive another day and that their love was strong enough to keep them together until the end.

But for some people, love wasn't enough. To Pete, Kim was like that.
Because even if he loved Kim with all his heart, Kim still left. And the worst part of it all, he didn't even receive a proper goodbye. The younger man just left him without a word. The next thing he knew, the man wrapped his arms around somebody else, which shattered Pete's heart into a million pieces. But what can he do? For a lowly bodyguard like him, the world continues to spin despite his grief. So, with shaky steps and a bleeding heart, he faced another tomorrow without Kim. As time passes, he convinces himself that life will get better and that he will eventually move on from the heartbreak. And move on, he did. It might not be the most typical (normal) way of moving on and finding another love, but it worked for him, for them.

___________

If curiosity was one of Kim's biggest strengths, it is also one of his weaknesses.

As the saying goes, "Curiosity killed the cat". In his case, it cost him his flourishing relationship with Pete.
Ironic, isn't it?
In hindsight, Kim should've stayed away from the mafia business. He should've just walked away and focused on his rising music career. He had enough money to live comfortably with Pete, and they were almost on their way to leave all the mafia sh*t behind.
But despite the warning bells constantly ringing in the back of his mind, he indulged himself in a little investigation. It was Porsche's fault, really. Or probably Kinn's for dragging the older Kittisawat to the mafia life. Before he knew it, he spent time in Porsche's house, tutoring his little brother about songs and guitars. It didn't help that Chay had a crush on him and was not very subtle at giving hints. And he was a jerk for leading the kid on. There was no one else to blame but himself. It was clear that his own doing had led him to his miserable life now.

___________

Pete stared at the man in front of him. He looks different, more mature and elegant in his suit than in his white t-shirt and jeans back then. His hair was longer, too. He still remembers how those soft locks felt against his fingers. His hand itched to ruffle his hair, but he gripped the table's edge to stop himself from doing that because things were different now. So he cleared his throat instead, silently praying that his voice would come out firm and steady.

"What do you want to talk about, Khun Kim?"