Chapter Twenty four

"Elyana, my office. Now."

┆      ┆       ✽   ┆
┆       ✽ ┆
┆      ✿
┆            ✿

In my boss's office, I sat motionless. The lack of sound was torturing me. The tension in the room was so intense that it felt like someone was pounding in my ears with a set of drums. I anxiously pursed my lips while fumbling around with my hands.

"Why were you two hours late?" Murayama starts, perking up her tatted eyebrow.

I gulped before responding, "I-I had car trouble. I'm so— "

"I don't need your apologies; I need you to come to work on time daily. I shouldn't have to come to work to scold you."

"You barely come anyways," I mumbled quietly.

"What was that?" Murayama asked.

"I said I'd make it on time!" I chirped, trying to mask the urge to express my frustration. Evidently, her presence here was unnecessary as she had no intention to work. Despite never showing up on previous occasions, she happened to appear out of nowhere on a day when I was running late.

Murayama sighed, writing something down on a piece of blank paper. I watched as she looked up at me and returned to the paper. What the hell was she writing? I couldn't see what was written, but she dropped the pen and began to fold it. It was like she wanted me to be nervous about her being here. Truthfully speaking, I was. There were so many things running through my mind, and one of those included being fired.

"Murayama, I am so–"

"You're getting a raise."

"What?" I quickly replied.

Murayama rolled her blue eyes, "You're getting a raise. The owner wouldn't stop pestering me since you've been here longer than most, so yes, you're getting a 3-dollar raise."

"I–"

"Don't make me regret this," Murayama spoke sternly.

I shook my head and stood up. I bowed. "I swear you won't." I didn't know if this was a dream, but this raise meant more money and less worrying.

"Also," Murayama added, making me look at her. "We're getting a supervisor in here. You'll be the general manager for this store. You can't keep doing all the work, so you'll need someone to be here."

"May I say something?" I asked suddenly, a thought popping into my head.

"What?" Murayama perked her eyebrow.

"What if Marie were to become a supervisor instead? She's been working here as long as I have, and she'd be an excellent partner to our group." I was trying to keep the same people in the store. We didn't need any more newcomers. I preferred to preserve things as they are with our little household.

Murayama hummed, "That's the smartest thing you've told me." Bitch. "Fine, I'll look into it. You may go."

I bowed my head and turned on my heel. I quickly walked out so she couldn't say anything else to me. There was no doubt that Marie would accept the position. She was the only one I trusted to do the safe drop if I was busy.

I owed it to Marie to give her the job. She had been with me since the start, proving her worth countless times. She had earned my trust and loyalty, something I was not prepared to give away lightly.

Dylan had come after Marie, and I had enormous trust in him, but he wasn't mature enough for the position. As funny and loving as Dylan was, he was very short-tempered. That's why we love him. He has no filter when everyone else does.