Traitors

Farrind stares at him for a while and opens his mouth to reply when there is a knock on the door. Jaryl stiffens beside The Toad his face pale as silence reigns once more in the room.

Zanya walks towards the door and presses her ears on it. A code follows shortly as everyone waits in bated breaths as a Zanya turns towards Jaryl who nods in confirmation.

She turns around facing the door wiping her hands nervously on her dress as she begins to open the locks chanting spells.

As the last lock clicks open, she pauses before opening the door a fraction of an inch. Immediately, dandelions flood the room.

'Quick, shut the door' Farrind orders but it is too late. Soldiers of the First Command- the king's wizards and magicians- burst in some bearing the triangular eye of the Dirimati and others the blood red basilisk crest of the king.

The room is thrown into confusion as the Toad draws a blade and launches a surprise attack on the nearest member of the group - Jaryl.

His blade is thrust away by an invisible force as Jaryl stares at him wide-eyed as he draws out his own blade and runs him through his side drawing it out to cut down a Dirimat warrior.

'Jaryl, Farrind' Shilan calls out to them through telepathy 'retreat to the shaft.' she orders as she begins shoving the members around her into the shaft while shielding it from the enemies' view with a mirage.

Oralice stumbles by her hand staunching a wound in her abdomen as her eyes turn misty again and her lips begin moving. 'Come on Oralice. Not now.' Shilan pleads as she drags Oralice by her hand and pulls her into the crouching position she has now assumed.

Farrind rushes over to where they are huddled
'Shilan, where are you?'
'Here' she answers
'How many are in there?'
'Eleven out of twenty two'
'Oralice included?'
'Yes'
'What about Jaryl? Have you heard anything from him yet?'
'No, he hasn't responded yet'

He turns around and looks at the entrance as more soldiers pour in. 'Should we go in and shut the door' someone asks 'No, never' Shilan replies adamantly as Oralice starts chanting to herself silently
'Loyalty from a queen. Betrayal from a queen. A blade at his throat.'

Finally Farrind spots Jaryl who is trying to inch his way towards them without drawing attention to himself his blonde hair matted with blood. He gets to Farrind breathless 'Zanya, is she here with you?' He asks . Shilan shakes her head in negation and watches horrified as Jaryl plunges back into the mayhem to search for Zanya.