Gift

Nya was frustrated.  Extremely frustrated.

Why did Jay have to be the perfect boyfriend?

Let's explain.  Jay and Nya were kind of in a gift war right now.  It was Jay's fault really.  He had to get her a new katana after Kai broke one of hers.  Don't ask.  Not only that, but he had her elemental symbol engraved on it.  Of course, Nya couldn't let him be the only gift giver.  She got him a new video game that he wanted before it even got released.  Thank you, Milton Dyer.  That started a chain of gift giving that led Nya to where she is now.  The last gift Jay gave her was a part that he knew she desperately needed for a new project she was working on for the team.  She hasn't told them about it yet, but that will be her little secret until the time to unveil it.

Either way, the last gift Jay gave her was exactly what she needed at the exact time she needed it.  She hadn't told him she needed it and it was such a rare part to come by too.  It may not seem like it, but it was perfect and leaves her with a major dilemma.  How is she going to top it?

She wants to get him something meaningful.  Something that shows that she knows him better than he knows himself, but it is so difficult.  She's at a complete loss as to what to get him.  Why does he know her so well?

They have said no more secrets, but she's starting to think that it might not be such a bad idea to keep a few.  Then, she might know how to get the perfect present for him without him one-upping her.

She decided to do some snooping around his room to see if she could get an ideas.  He always hates when she does that, but at this point, she doesn't really care.  She is not losing this gift war.  No way.  She will not accept defeat.

She started digging through Jay's things making sure to put everything back the way it was so Jay wouldn't suspect her.  She will never understand with how the state Jay's room is in (not exactly clean but also not exactly messy), he manages to always know when something is moved if it's off by just a tiny bit.  It's bizarre.

As she's looking, she comes across a white envelope that came through the mail the other day.  She knows that she shouldn't open it since it was Jay's mail, but she just can't help it.  She needs to win.  She opened it up and was surprised by what she saw.  It was his inheritance letter with the key to Cliff Gordon's mansion.  The letter and key that he got in the other timeline.  After that timeline got erased, the inheritance letter never came.  Until now, that is.  It looked like Jay just put it on his desk after opening it and left it there.

She's honestly not surprised.  He acts like he doesn't want to know anything about his birth parents, but she knows he secretly wants to know more about where he came from.  Actually, that might be something.

She knows that Jay will more than likely (actually, he definitely will) notice the letter being gone, but if she wants to win this gift war, it's a risk she's willing to take.

She takes the letter with the key and starts on her way to Cliff Gordon's mansion.  This is her last hope to get a gift better than what Jay gave her.  Her last hope and she does not want to be defeated.  Not this time.  There might be a chance that they've done gift wars before and she hasn't won.  She actually lost three times, but will she ever admit it?  No, because in her mind, it never happened.

When she got to the mansion, she started looking around for...well, she didn't really know what she was looking for.  She was hoping something would just catch her eye but nope.  Nothing.  There has to be something in this stupid mansion.

She decides to check upstairs because there's obviously nothing downstairs.  She starts checking the bedrooms for something.  Anything.  She found out that Cliff Gordon had like a million spare rooms.  That's probably an over exaggeration, but it sure felt like he had that many.  She was about to give up when she noticed one final room at the end of the hall.  What did she have to lose at this point?

She went into that room and it looked like a nursery.  The walls were decorated with little lightning bolts.  She figured that this room was intended for when Jay was born but fate had other plans.  She looked around for a bit until she came across a journal in a nightstand by the crib and read a few pages before stopping at the last entry.  "This is perfect," she said to herself.

She went back to the monastery and saw Jay waiting for her in the training yard.  "You went through my room again," Jay immediately said when he saw her.

"I'm sorry, but I needed a leg up," Nya told him acting as sweet as she could.

"You know, it doesn't matter who wins.  I don't care if you get me elaborate gifts.  I like being able to spoil my girlfriend."

"That's sweet, but I'm not backing down this time.  I think this will be my checkmate."  She handed him the journal.

"What is this?" he asked.

"Open the last entry and read it."

Jay did as Nya said.

"Dear Jay,

I don't really know what to say.  If you're reading this, I'm so sorry.  I wish I could raise you and I know Cliff does as well, but we can't risk your life.  There's someone after the Master of Lightning.  I don't know who they are or what they want, but I do know they are after both me and you.  I found a couple who I believe will do a good job raising you and I'm going to be leaving to keep both you and your father safe.  I hope I will be able to meet you someday when you're all grown up.

I'll love you always.

Mom (Libber if you don't know)"

Jay looked back up at Nya with tears forming in his eyes.  "Nya, this is incredible," he said.  "Thank you."  He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her in for a hug.  "Now, I have to figure out how to top this."

Shoot.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed!