11) Anniversary

⚔ In which it's the first anniversary of a free Hyrule ⚔

Link

I wake up long before Zelda does. I take some of the colorful candles I bought that were being sold at nearly every stall because of today. I probably bought more than necessary. I light them and put them on the windowsill, one for each of my friends that have been gone for a century plus one year. I dress in something darker and start with breakfast, hoping the smell will wake Zelda up like it normally does. I feed the guests and help them with their horses and bags before they start their journey again.  

"I wish you the best, Hero. I wish you peace and happiness. You and your princess both," the old Gerudo woman says. Instead of denying it, I smile.

"Thank you."

Her granddaughter ushers her into the little wagon seat.

When I go back inside, Zelda is standing by the stove, making herself a plate. She still looks half asleep.

"I can do it," I say, taking the plate from her. If she were any more awake, she would protest, but she let me take the plate and sits down.

"What are those candles for?" she asks softly. "They are pretty."

I put her full plate in front of her. She starts eating instantly, smiling at the food.

"They're for the anniversary of the Calamity. It's a tradition the people started."

Her eyes snap up to the candles, and she seems to realize the different colors. The teal for the Champions, a purple one for her father, a green one for the Hero that died that night, and two plain white ones for my parents – even though they didn't die the night of the Calamity, the still passed because of the fallout, I decide. I don't know if she puts all that together, but she seems to get the idea.

"Its... a beautiful tradition," she says softly, tearing her gaze away from the light and back to her plate.

We eat in silence, while I try to find a way to make her feel better. Then, "We can go back to Kakariko for the day, if you want."

She looks up at that. "It would take a day just to get there."

I smirk. "Not if we take the warp," I say.

Zelda's eyes light up at the mention. She's only used the warp a few times, and she's mentioned wanting to use it again, but I like riding so much more. She never argues when I suggest we take the long road, and I like it because it means more time together, just talking. Just us and the wild, two of my favorite things.

"Can we really?" she asks excitedly. I nod. She claps her hands together and stands, tossing her plate into the sink and running to the room, I assume to get dressed.

She comes back while I'm washing the dishes and clears her throat. I turn around. She's dressed in the skirt I got for her at the festival and a pretty white top with small straps and a thin shawl. Her hair is unbound and a little frizzy. I smile at the outfit, a little dumbfounded that she could get prettier than she already was.

"You should change, too," she says suddenly, breaking me from my trance. There's a flush on her cheeks, and I feel a little bad. I didn't want to make her uncomfortable...

I look down at the dark clothes and frown. "But... it's a memorial holiday."

"Yes," she says, stepping closer, "but it's also the first one in a free Hyrule. I think that's something worth celebrating."