Chapter 2: An Awkward Conversation

Quick little note from the author here. I recommend listening to Normal Girl and Prom by SZA to enhance reading experience, or don't. Fine either way :))

Katniss

I brush my hair out for the fifth time after failing to get a decent braid done. I don't even know why I'm stressing out about it. I could just do a ponytail or wear my hair down, but for some reason today I need my hair braided. So I undo attempt number five and stare at my reflection in the mirror with determination that this is the one.

"He'll like it any way you do it."

I jump at the sound of Haymitch's voice as he stands at the door, scratching his eyes and yawning. I scowl at the whiff of his morning breath and the teasing comment that would usually slide off my back but today has me wanting to scream into a pillow.

"Morning to you too."

He chuckles at the way I ignore his comment, but even I know it's true. I know Peeta will like it anyway I do it. I know that today he's the reason I'm so nervous about going to class. And most importantly, I know that I won't be able to avoid the tension that's been growing since the incident on Saturday night at that stupid party I should've never let myself be dragged to by him.

"Here, let me help you, sweetheart.

Haymitch says stepping up and making me untangle my hands from my hair. He knows how Dad used to do it. So I simply stop scowling and allow him to. He takes three strands of my hair and quickly sets up my usual braid, never being able to do it the same way Dad did, but it's close enough. He knows something's up with me. He knows that normally I would've not let him braid my hair as easily. But in a silent agreement he nods at me and decides to let me be the one to tell him if I wish to. He's a grouch and too hard when it comes to archery practice but he is family and he cares about Prim and I.

I walk out the bathroom and bump into a very rushed version of my sister. She's evidently late as she struggles to finish her second braid with a piece of burnt toast on her mouth and the back of her uniform shirt sticking out.

"Woah, woah, slow down. I'll take you to school if you miss the bus, relax, Little Duck."

She stops in her tracks and rolls her eyes at me. Mmm she's at that age where she thinks she's too old for that nickname. Unlucky her, I'm never gonna stop using it. But still there's something going on. She doesn't rush this much for anything ever. I shoot her a look and a grin to urge her to spit it out.

"I just prefer taking the bus, Katniss."

She hisses at me and continues to chew on her burnt piece of toast while she tries not to make a face. I nod my head and fake naivety as she rolls her eyes at me once more. And that's twice before noon, folks! But just as my uncle did with me, I'll do with her. Let her tell me about it when she wants to.

Shortly after we both leave for school and as I park in front of the entrance I sigh. I really wish I could just ditch today. That's how much I don't wanna face Peeta. That's how embarrassed I am about the way I acted that night. In my defense I was way more than just a bit tipsy but I still can't justify the way I made a complete fool out of myself in front of him. So I stall in my car until the last possible minute. I soon make my way through the now empty hallways and find my first class. My first class that I happen to share with Peeta. Peeta who's now sitting and looking at me as I walk into class apologizing to Ms. Trinket for being late. His eyes wide and his foot thumping on the floor. Guess he's nervous to see me too. I avoid his gaze as I sit down two seats in front of him.