Chapter 5

After eating, I decided to try and take a nap since I hadn't actually slept the night before. And honestly there was nothing else to do. Unfortunately, it wasn't any easier sleeping than it had been a few hours ago. I lay on the bed for a long time, unable to even doze.

A knock came from outside the tent and even though it wasn't startling, my pulse sped anyway as I wondered who was there. I wasn't aware of any boards or anything else for someone to be able to knock on. The canvas of the tent was all that was there, and it was much too soft for knocking. But the sound was unmistakably right outside.

I pushed off the bed and walked to the door, knowing that whoever it was, would probably come in if I didn't go to meet them.

When I peeked outside, I was relieved to see Jeremiah standing there. He was holding a large crate and I realized that he must have knocked on the box to get my attention so as not to just come inside without warning. I was starting to like him, just a little bit. He was considerate.

"The general sent this for you." He nodded at the crate in his arms.

For me? It was huge! I wasn't used to getting many gifts. My parents had always given me the things I needed, but they weren't rich and with seven other children, I rarely received presents other than on Christmas or my birthday.

Mildly stunned, I reached for the box, but Jeremiah didn't hand it over.

"It's kind of heavy," he explained. "Mind if I come in and set it down for you?"

Yes, of course I minded. I didn't trust anyone here and simply allowing him into the one relatively safe place I had, wasn't something I was eager to do.

But I suppose he did ask first, and he didn't have to do that. He didn't have to knock either. And the box did look as if it would be hard to maneuver. Especially since he said it was heavy.

"Alright," I said warily, moving aside for him to come in.

I stayed where I was, watching as he strode into the tent and set the box down on the table.

When he turned and saw me, still cautiously standing where I was and obviously ready to run, he gave me that friendly smile again and made his way back outside.

"Just give a holler if you need anything else," he said, walking away before I could thank him.

I let out the breath I'd been holding and went to see what was inside the large crate.

When I peered down into the box, I saw all the things I might have thought to ask for. There was a hairbrush, soap, clothes, shoes, and several other necessary items including the ointment Richard mentioned last night. He was even thoughtful enough to send a sketchpad as well as supplies to knit and do needlepoint. So at least I wouldn't be bored to tears.

The objects didn't appear to be brand new. I would have to altar some of the dresses and repair tears in other items. There was a chip in the paint on the handle of the brush and the shoes looked slightly worn. But I didn't mind. It was very considerate of Richard to send it at all. Besides, repairing the clothes would give me more to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spent a good portion of the day working on the dresses. There were four of them, and they were all very practical without much in the way of embellishments. It seemed fitting since I would be living out of a tent indefinitely.

The light blue dress was my favorite. I repaired it first, grateful that it didn't need much altering, and was able to change in order to fix the dress I'd been wearing.