Chapter 1

Terror. That's the only thing I'd known for the indeterminable amount of time since that man first grabbed me and ripped me away from my home. Terror was my constant companion along with pain and discomfort.

Not one of these awful men even tried to be gentle with me. I hadn't been able to check yet, but I knew there must be bruises all along my arms and legs from the rough treatment. My whole body seemed to ache. Most notably on the right side of my face and at my wrists.

At first I'd been paralyzed by fear, unable to do a thing to defend myself, but then instinct had taken over. I wildly swung my arms and legs, trying to get away. I scratched, bit, and screamed - anything and everything I could think of to fight for my freedom. But my efforts had been of little help. After a few minutes of my hysteria, one man struck me across the face, shocking me into inaction long enough for another man to forcefully tie my wrists to the horse I'd been trying to jump from. After that, I'd been helpless to do anything but whimper and cry as the man at my back held on to me. I suspected that his grip was harder than necessary due to the aggravation I'd caused him.

His hold eased after a while, but I knew I was covered with bruises by that point. The rope holding me was coarse and it cut painfully into my wrists, probably causing more bruising.

Aside from all the pain inflicted during my abduction, I was sore from the journey itself. I'd rarely ever ridden a horse in my life and at the moment, I was situated uncomfortably in front of a large man who took up most of the saddle, wedging me between himself and the handhold at the horse's neck. It was actually a relief when parts of my body started going numb.

I couldn't guess exactly how long we'd been traveling. There was no sign of daylight yet, but I knew it must be coming soon, which meant that we'd been at it most of the night. Even without accounting for the travel and energy I expended, trying to get away, I would have been exhausted from the length of time I'd been awake. I wondered how much longer this could last, but I was also terrified of reaching the destination.

I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't so naive that I didn't have an idea of why I'd been taken with all those other girls. If I'd been unsure, the semi-frequent comments of the soldiers would have convinced me. Admittedly, I didn't understand half of what they meant with their jokes. I'd never been exposed to vulgar men before. But their general meaning was as clear as the lascivious look in their eyes when they would leer at me. But I still didn't know exactly what it all meant or what was going to happen, and I was so scared to find out.

On top of that, I was utterly afraid for my family. That man had seemed content enough to leave them alone before Mother tried to fight back. What had they done to her after I left? What about Keira and the boys? Would they be so heartless as to harm toddlers and little girls?

Yes, my mind answered. They would. That man held his sword to Michael's back without a second thought, to stop my mother. Had he gone back after I was out of sight to kill them all?

Would I ever see any of my family again?

Tears continued to stream down my face and I bit my lip hard to hold in the sob that threatened to break free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Change of plans, Morris."

The voice jolted me and I realized that I was dozing. Snapping my eyes open, I realized that it was that horrible man who first spotted me. He was clearly the one in charge and he scared me the most.

I couldn't see them any longer, but I heard the other girls who were taken like I was. I knew by the sound of their cries that they must be having a much worse ride than I was. I didn't want to think about what was happening to them, but I guessed that whatever awaited me would be worse. The man, Morris apparently, had barely touched me other than to hold me in place, but I knew it wasn't because he was trying to be kind. The man riding beside us ordered him to save me for himself.

"Sir," Morris answered.

"I've decided that this one will make a nice gift for General Graham." There was enough light from the full moon to show his cruel smile. "She's, by far, the prettiest and I can easily find another. Graham could use a nice stress reliever to get that permanent scowl off his face."

It was because I was pretty? Was that the reason all this was happening to me? Was this some cruel payment for my vanity? I knew I was pretty, of course. How could I not? People had always told me so. But had it been wrong to appreciate it? I never thought I was overly vain, but maybe I had been. Maybe this was my punishment. Would I be safely at home now if I'd been plain?

Morris chuckled. "That's certainly true. But are you sure you want to waste this one? He's made his feelings pretty clear about this."

"I'm sure," he said. "He won't take one himself. Fancies himself too noble or some nonsense. But what man would reject such a pretty, young prize? If he does, I'll be happy to pick her back up, and if not, he'll have me to thank."

"Doesn't hurt to be in his good graces." Morris laughed again.

"Precisely." The other man nodded. "I've got a promotion in mind and this may be a good step toward it."

I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or not by their exchange. At least I wouldn't be at the mercy of this cruel man, but were any of them going to be much better? This General Graham might be worse. If he's not even very nice to his own people, how nice would he treat me?

"When we reach camp, take her directly to Graham's tent," the man continued. "I expect he'll be gone, but she'll make a pleasant surprise when he returns."

"Yes sir." I could practically hear his grin and I shivered, watching the other man ride away from us.