Chapter 12

Even before I looked outside, I knew it was a beautiful day. I could hear the birds chirping and, I don't know how, but I could just smell that it was a lovely summer day. Maybe being cooped up inside the tent so much was making me extra sensitive to things like that.

Sure enough, when I poked my head outside, I saw the brilliantly blue sky streaked with white fluffy clouds, hiding just enough of the sun to make it feel pleasantly warm, rather than scorchingly hot.

If I tried very hard, I might even be able to block out the rest of my surroundings for just a few minutes.

Stepping fully outside, I craned my neck so that I couldn't see almost any of the tents or other markings of Camp. I was grateful that at this early morning hour, it was relatively quiet as usual so that the more disturbing noises that some of the soldiers often made, didn't ruin my momentary illusion.

Taking a deep breath of fresh air, I spotted a blue jay flying just low enough to be identified. I smiled until I realized that I was beginning to feel jealous of a bird.

Time ran together for me now and it was difficult to keep track of how long I'd actually been here. It felt like six months or more, but I guessed because of my long, lonely days, it felt longer than it was in reality. However long it was, I almost didn't remember what that sort of freedom felt like. I really couldn't complain though. My situation was better than I would have ever dreamed possible after being taken like I was, but still...what would it be like to be able to pick up and fly away? To be able to fly home.

Feeling the familiar sting, I closed my eyes to keep the tears at bay. I was becoming better at handling my emotions, but even so, I had to remain still and concentrate on my breathing to hold it all in.

It was then, as I stood there blind and silent that I heard the odd scuffling from around the corner of the tent somewhere. It was so quiet, I wouldn't have heard it otherwise, and it was an unusual sound to hear. Like someone was sneaking around. A thought that made me very nervous.

I quickly glanced around, noticing for the first time that Jeremiah wasn't anywhere in view. Was he close enough to hear me if I screamed?

Forcing myself to stay calm, I decided to investigate. After all, there was no need to worry unnecessarily. It could just be a raccoon or some other animal looking for food.

Preparing to run, just in case, I grabbed hold of my skirt with both hands and hesitantly inched my way to the corner of the tent. Ever so slowly, I peeked around to find the source of the small sound I'd heard. It took a few seconds to realize that someone was mirroring my position around the back of the tent, watching me. My heart jumped into my throat and I was ready to scream for Jeremiah, but before I could work up the nerve, I realized that it wasn't a soldier stalking me. It was a girl.

A terrified girl, if I had to guess.

Feeling bolder, I moved around the corner and tried to get a better look at her.

"Hello?" I called softly, hoping not to frighten her away.

For a minute she just stared at me with wide eyes, but then she moved so I could see her better. Her hair was matted and wild, and her dress was filthy and torn in several places. I didn't even want to evaluate all the marks on her skin. I prayed that they were mostly just dirt.

"Cecily?" she said in disbelief, coming closer.

She knew my name? I examined her face as she drew nearer and realized that underneath the dirt, bruises, and other markings, I knew her.

"Alyssa?" I asked. My eyes filled with tears and my heart broke for whatever she'd been through.

Alyssa was from the same small village that I was. Her family lived not ten minutes from mine. We had played together and shared secrets as children. On more than one occasion my family had shared a meal with hers. I used to dream that I might marry her older brother one day.