Chapter Twelve: Getting ready for homecoming

The next day, Mom didn't have me go to school because she knew I was still upset by everything that happened last night. So instead of school or even work, Mom and I had a pampered-filled day. She took me to the spa to relax and took me to a nail salon for a mani-pedi. I was so happy and relaxed. My nails were French-tip stilettos with snowflake designs on them. To top it off, she took me to a hair salon to get my hair done for the night. "Mom, I don't know what to do for my hair and makeup when I don't even know what my dress looks like" I sighed. But she didn't seem to be discouraged as we pulled up to the salon.

"That is why I brought it with us." She smiled as she got out of the car. Once we were out, she opened the backseat and pulled the dress bag from last night out of the car. I smiled at her preparedness as we walked into the salon. Mom went up to the receptionist and said "Appointment for Stronghold."

"Ah yes, homecoming dance." The receptionist smiled. "And what do you want done today?" She asked me.

I looked at her with a twisted face. "I don't know. I would like something to fit the dress."

Mom held the dress to the woman and whispered something I couldn't hear. The woman smiled and nodded at my mother's words nonetheless. "I know the perfect thing. Follow me, my dear." I smiled at her and followed her to the back and watched her talk to the actual stylist and make-up artist. They looked so excited to do this, whatever it was.

"Ok dear, if you could just close your eyes and relax while I do this. But first, do I have permission to curl your hair?" I nodded and relaxed. I closed my eyes and allowed the women to do their jobs, only moving when asked to. When they were done, they prevented me from looking in the mirror and guided me to the back studio where my mom was with my dress. "OK per your mother's request, you cannot look at the dress or anything until we are done with you completely. So if you could close your eyes, I would appreciate it." I nodded and closed my eyes and they guided me into my dress. It felt so soft and silky against my skin. When I ran my hands down the skirt, I noticed that the dress had layers. A silky under but the top felt like it was lace or tulle. When I moved my hand up to the bodice, I felt the patterned lace, and what felt like beads or crystals. "Ok, step up." I did as they asked and felt them put on my shoes. When they were done, they moved me to a spot before saying "OK, open"

When I opened my eyes, I saw someone who didn't even look like me but she had my face. My hair was in tight bouncy girls with star-shaped pins holding the curls from my face. My makeup was done in a natural but dramatic style, almost reminding me of an old Hollywood look. But my favorite part was the dress. It was an ankle-length, high-low, white laced, off-the-shoulder dress with sewn-in jeweled beading across the bodice and my shoes were silver, T-strapped, two-inch heels. I looked like Christine Daee from Phantom of the Opera.

"I always knew you were going to be a vision in this" Mom spoke from behind me. She walked around and stood in front of me with a crystal necklace. She put it on my neck and latched it before cupping my cheek. "You are going to make that boyfriend of yours lose his words." she jested at me.

Once we were done with everything, Mom took me to the bus stop so I could get to sky high. I had already messaged Warren and he said that he would meet me at the school and to just wait for him at the punch bowl. He said he had to take care of something.

Once I got to the school, I began to look for Warren and the gang. I found Magenta and Zack on the dance floor. Zack looked like he was having a seizure while dancing causing me to laugh. I continued to walk around the gym, looking at the decorations. I found Layla and Ethan at the refreshment table. When I got there, Mr.Boy greeted Layla and me. "Hey Mr.Boy" I smiled at my former teacher.

"It looks like you ladies could use a drink."

"No thanks," Layla and I declined the man.

Mr. Boy looked a little worried but tried to reassure us by saying. "Oh don't worry the bubbles are only ginger ale." As he was explaining to us that it was safe, Lash's arm came around the slapped the drink into the teacher's shirt.