Rule No 15: In regards to Rule No 14, their parents aren't always angels

The next day, I was called into the headmaster's office, a sense of unease settling in my stomach. As I entered the room, the headmaster looked stern, his expression giving away nothing.

"Mr. Lupin," he began, "we received some concerns from parents regarding your response to a student's question yesterday."

I furrowed my brow, unsure of what he was referring to. "I'm not sure I understand, Headmaster. What concerns?"

The headmaster leaned forward and explained, "You mentioned that you have a boyfriend when a student asked about your relationship status. We have a policy that discourages discussing personal matters, especially those related to romantic relationships, with students."

I was taken aback by this response. "But I didn't bring it up; the students asked about it."

The headmaster's expression remained resolute. "Regardless of how it came up, Mr. Lupin, we have to maintain a neutral stance on these matters. The students don't need to know about such personal details of their teachers' lives."

It was a frustrating and disheartening conversation, one that left me feeling silenced and uncertain about how to navigate my role as an educator while also being true to myself and my identity.

Feeling defeated and overwhelmed after the conversation with the headmaster, I sought solace in the company of Sirius. He was my pillar of support, my confidant, and as I recounted the disheartening encounter, tears welled up in my eyes.

Sirius held me close, my head resting on his shoulder, as I cried out my frustration and sadness. It was a moment of vulnerability, and he comforted me with gentle words and soothing gestures.

However, as I cried into Sirius' shoulder, one of the observant kids from my class happened to pass by with their parent. They pointed excitedly at us and declared in a loud voice, "That's Mr. Lupin and his boyfriend!"

The parent's face contorted with disapproval, and they shot an icy glare in our direction. Without a word, they grabbed their child's hand and swiftly walked away, leaving me with a mixture of emotions—vulnerability, sadness, and a sense of injustice.

It was a stark reminder that the world could be unaccepting and judgmental, even in a place as seemingly progressive as a school.