Time together

The bright sun beamed down on the two boys walking down the street. Kaveh's long blonde hair was tied back into a messy bun, golden strands falling in front of his face.

"I'm excited to finally get some more fresh produce! Do you think they'll have any harra fruit? I need some for the dish I'm making tomorrow." He reached his hand up and shielded his eyes from the bright sun.

Alhathiam glances over to the boy next to him. He raises his hand above Kaveh's head and protects him from the sun. "They most likely will. But you should have a backup plan in case."

"Uggghuh I really need it. I already have everything else. It's planned perfectly." Kaveh slumps forward and sticks out his lower lip in a pouty manner.

Alhathiam let's out a tiny chuckle watching the lively-ness of Kaveh. He takes in the sight and smiles slightly.

                                  ——•••——

When the two arrived at the market Kaveh automatically ran to the fresh produce stand. But Alhathiam had a different idea. And so the boys parted ways.

Kaveh picked a tomato up and inspected it. He gently squeezed it, and rolled it around in his palm. He grabbed another and weighed the two in his hands. He decided to go with the second one. He opened his bag and placed it in.

He moved over to the other side of the stand, searching for a very specific fruit. Finally his eyes landed on a box with harra fruit. But there's only one left. He moved as quickly as he could to the fruit and snatched it out of the basket. Just before a little boy went to grab it.

Kaveh looked triumphantly at the fruit. Before he noticed the sad look on the boys face. "Hey, did you want this?" Kaveh asked.

"Yeah, my mom makes harra pie with it. And it's my favorite! But she's really sick, and hasn't been able to go out looking for them with me." he looked down and kicked the dirt with his feet. "I worked really hard to save up enough to go and buy some."

Kaveh looked at the poor boy, he looked back at the harra fruit in his hand. "How about you take it?" He said bending down to be eye level with the small boy.

"Really? Thank you mister!" His face lit up with delight. He gently took the fruit and smiled.

"It's no problem, make sure you tell your mom thank you for the pie." He ruffled the boy's hair, and grinned.

The two went their separate ways. Kaveh headed off to the entrance of the market. He sighed with defeat over the harra fruit. But was happy to make that little boy's day. He looked around for Alhathiam, trying to find him in the crowd. But there was no sign of him.

As time passes Kaveh grew irritated at the disappearance of Alhathiam. The sun began to set, and still he was a no show. Just as Kaveh was about to head home he spotted a grey spec in the decreasing crowd.

"Alhathiam!" He called cupping his hands around his mouth.

He strolled up towards him, holding a pink cardboard bag in his hand.

"Finally, what took you so long?" Kaveh hissed.

"I was looking for this." Alhathiam held up the bag that was in his hand. "I thought you could use one." He handed the bag over to a surprised Kaveh.

"Oh. I didn't know you got me something." He opened the bag and looked down. He pulled out a woven straw hat.

"The sun was in your eyes earlier, I thought you'd like one." Alhathiam looked down at the ground.

"That's really sweet. Thank you Alhathiam." Kaveh smiled and put the straw hat on. "Does it look good?"

"It suits you." Alhathiam grinned.

Kaveh smiled his button nose wrinkled, and his dimples on full display.

In that moment Alhathiam swore his heart stopped.

"Let's head home. It's been a long day." Kaveh grabbed Alhathiam's hand and intertwined their fingers.

"So did you find your fruit?" He asked sarcastically.

"I did." Kaveh nodded his head. "But someone needed it more than me." His voice was soft.

"Your big heart will be the death of you." Alhathiam sighed.

"I can't help it! I like seeing people happy." Kaveh defended.

Alhathiam chuckled. His deep laugh bellowing down the trail.

"What's so funny about that?" Kaveh sounded offended now.

Alhathiam shook his head. "Nothing's funny about it. Your compassion for others is one of my favorite things about you." A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

Kaveh could feel the heat creeping up on to his face. "I think that's the first time you've ever complimented me." He snickered.

"Oh don't get used to it." Alhathiam teased.

The two boys walked home. Hands still linked together. Bantering playfully the whole way. They don't get along a lot, but when they do the chemistry is undeniable.

.
.
.
Note from the author

Hello! It's been a while since I've updated this. But I'd like to explain a few things. Since schools started again I'm multitasking a lot and have a lot of different things going on. So I may not be able to update as often. Secondly some chapters may be shorted or seemed rush. I promise I'm trying my best to keep working on this story. I like the characters to seem and act like they do cannonally. So I take extra time. But thank you all for your patience!!