𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓽𝔂

𝙼𝚊𝚢𝚊'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚟

𝙼𝚊𝚢𝚊'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚟

December 22nd, Montreal, Canada

"Thank you for meeting us on such short notice, Maya," The consulter from my publisher reaches his hand out to me. "Especially with Christmas right around the corner." 

"It is not a problem, I wasn't planning on celebrating Christmas this year," I smile back at him. 

It has only been a week since I submitted the first version of my second book. On the night after Joey's conviction, when I couldn't sleep. I wrote the last six chapters and submitted it directly, it did not even pass Alexandra.

"What was the rush?" Alexandra asks as the three of us sit down.

"We wanted to have things discussed before the new year. You know, rounding this up before Christmas begins, and then it's only a week before New Year's."

We nod, but the consulter's wording doesn't slow my heartbeat. It is beating against my chest quickly, and I am sure Alexandra can hear it.

"Okay, then tell us why we are here."

If Alexandra didn't know either... It can't be good.

"We loved it."

"What?"

Alexandra and I look at each other, as if we need a second confirmation we both heard what we weren't expecting.

"Yes, we loved it. It has everything, and we absolutely loved it."

"I wasn't expecting this," I say honestly.

"I can understand so. For now, let's go over all the details and the feedback."

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

"How did it go?" Lance immediately jumps up from the couch and walks to me, kissing my cheek as he accepts my coat.

"It went very well, they loved it," I say, and still the surprise is hearable in my tone. "They wanted to schedule it so fast due to Christmas and New Year... and they just wanted to give me the feedback."

"So, they are not cutting you off right before going into 2024?"

I nudge him playfully, he already tried reassuring me on the plane yesterday, because I kept overthinking the sudden invitation I got in the mail right before take off.

"Thank you for trying to call me down."

"No worries at all," He kisses my cheek again. "Are you hungry? I made us some lunch."

I tilt my head, "Are you having a stroke? Since when do you make lunch?"

He laughs and kisses my cheek again, "Come on, I wanted to be sweet."