Chapter 11

In the beginning, there was a bright, warm light and the sound of waves

In the beginning, there was a bright, warm light and the sound of waves. As a descendant of Poseidon, my parents loved taking me and my brothers to the beach near our house. It became a family tradition to spend the day or a few hours together at the beach every other week. With my parents both having somewhat time consuming jobs, spending a couple of hours together at a place that we all felt safe at was something special for all of us.

The faint memory of my childhood brought me back to one of the first times I understood the true meaning of happiness and one of the many ways that it could be created. I was younger in this memory, young enough for my Dad to carry me in his arms and my Mom to hold my hand whenever we walked together. My Dad tied my hair up into pigtails and my Mom made me wear a blue outfit with tiny seashells printed on the fabric. I was a toddler with no clue of the dangers that come with being born into this family.

Beach Days were one of my many favorite days and one of them was my Secret Trips with Uncle Nico Days. At the beach, we would have a blanket on the sand and a large umbrella to give us and our things some shade. Most of the time, my mom would stay on the dry and hot sand to read her books while my brothers and I would play in the water with our Dad. In this particular memory, it was the same.

Out in the distance, behind the crashing of the waves on the sand, my brothers were clinging to our Dad as the three of them laughed to their heart's content. My Mom is sitting right next to me with a book in her hand.

"Ma," My voice was pitched higher than it is now.

"Yes, my love?"

"Can we say hi to the waves?"

She looked at me and I was met with her dazzling grey eyes that Dad always complimented whenever he got the chance. Mom puts her book down and reaches her hands to me, inserting them in between my arms and torso to carry me. I was lifted off the ground and she started walking towards the smaller and calmer waves. They're beautiful; the crashing waves below us, seagulls screeching from above, and the cool salty breeze that whistled to my ears. I've always loved the many sounds of the sea because they remind me of home.

"Percy!" Mom yelled and with her other hand, she waved it around. "Come back!"

In no time, my Dad began taking my brothers back to shore. Mom and I stood there with the waves greeting her by her feet. She still had me in her arms, so I couldn't even reach down to touch the water and say hello. But before I could start whining about it, my Dad and brothers finally made their way back.

Even though he spent all that time swimming and out at sea, my Dad has the power to make himself dry on command. My brothers immediately ran to Mom with giggles and smiles on their faces. Dad takes me from Mom's arms and into his, greeting me with a kiss on my forehead.

"Did my Delia miss me?"

I laid my head on his shoulder as I stared out into the blue and pointed at the water, "I want the sea."