🍁Chapter Four🍁

A week had passed. You hadn't talked to Jake or Sammy. Josh had texted asking you to come over for dinner but you made up some half assed excuse.

You were fully immersed in an essay on Jane Eyre when there was a knock on your door. It startled you enough that your red pen went flying over the counter top. At first you thought maybe it was a neighbor needing something. You looked through the peephole and saw Josh's curly hair and wide smile so you held the door open for him.

"May I come in?" he asked.

"Yeah, come in," you allowed.

"So I hear there's more than one of my brothers that you're interested in."

"Oh, God. Who told you?"

"Jake did."

You were annoyed that Jake thought he had a right to tell anybody your business. You didn't want it to be a big deal. You were embarrassed that you and Sam had been caught. Honestly you were a little disappointed that Jake seemed so unbothered by it.

"Well, it's not really any of his business, so," you said, avoiding eye contact with Josh.

"I think it's great."

"What?!"

"If it means you're moving on from Jake."

"It doesn't. It was just a heat of the moment thing."

"Does Sam know that?"

"I don't know. We didn't really talk about it."

"Well, whatever it was, it shouldn't keep you from coming over. Sam's mature enough to be respectful. Plus it feels like we just got you back."

"I don't know. I just feel really awkward."

"I know, babe. It's really fucking weird."

"It's so weird!"

"You can't just shut us out, though."

"I know. You're right."

"So I need to know if you're doing Thanksgiving with us this year."

"I don't know."

"It'll be fun. Danny's gonna be there."

"Does he know about me and Sam, too?"

"Does it matter if he does? It's Thanksgiving. We need you there."

"No, you don't."

"Nobody else makes green bean casserole as good as you."

"Fine. Okay, I'll come."

"Perfect! I'll put you down for green bean casserole and pickles."

"Pickles?"

"It's not Thanksgiving without pickles."

"That's true. I've just never been in charge of them before. What if I fuck them up?"

"I trust your pickle choosing abilities."

"Thanks."

Josh gave you a hug, wrapping his arms around your ribs.

"I miss you. I don't care about whatever drama you have with Jake or with Sam. I think of you as my friend before you're Jake's best friend or Sam's...whatever you are with him. Okay?" Josh said into your ear.

"Okay."

"Do not be a stranger," he said as he let go of you, "I'll see you on Thanksgiving!"

With that, he spun around and left you alone to finish grading your papers.