Chapter 8- A Deal?

In Dr. Hoffman Office, she is prepping Barnabas arm to take out blood and see how she can turn it normal again. "No, it's brilliant. Theoretically, anyway. A series of transfusions to try and purify your blood."

"And my soul with it."

"I should warn you, Barnabas, there's a slight chance it won't work. It isn't exactly the kind of thing they teach in medical school." She says as she wraps a tourniquet on his upper arm to help slow down the blood flow.

"You must have faith, doctor. For if a man can become a monster, then a monster can become a man." Barnabas says thinking that the math adds up.

"But why become a man, Barnabas? Why give up the gift of eternal youth? Look at me. Every year I get half as pretty and twice as drunk." She walks over to the side table, preparing the equipment.

"If that is true, madam, you must have started as the most beautiful creature that has ever lived." She stopped and looked at him. Maybe it was the alcohol in her system or the fact that no one had ever told her that, but something springs in her.

"Barnabas...are you aware of the concept of doctor-patient confidentiality?" She takes off her glasses and stands in front of him.

"No. Perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten me." Barnabas says being clueless of what she meant.

"All right." She goes on her knees and Barnabas is sincere surprise.

~~~

Barnabas is standing on the rocks near the ocean, enjoying the sight and sounds of the waves crashing.

"Barnabas!" He turns around and see Y/n skipping down the rocks to stand next to him carefully.

"Ah, Y/n."

"Mind if I tag along?" She asks.

"Nothing would make me happier. You've come down for a stroll." He lends her his arm and start walking together.

"Actually, I'm helping Vicky look for David. God knows where he's run off to now. We'll be lucky if we see him before Christmas." Y/n joked.

"He's a fine lad. Every bit as curious and rambunctious as I was."

"You know that he idolizes you. Between you and his mother, I can hardly get him to talk about anything else. Hell, even Vicky tried and it is still the same." She tells Barnabas since it had been a while David had taken a strong liking to a person.

"You believe him, that he sees her and speaks to her." Barnabas says.

"I knew his mother when I started working here, she was like my best friend. When she died it taken a toll on everyone, but not as much as David. When he started telling people about talking and seeing his mom, a part of me wanted to comfort him. Another part of me believes there are things in this world we don't understand. Things like magic, death, destiny. I guess as long at it makes him happy, what does it matter what anyone believes?"

They stopped and looked at each other. "Eloquently put."

~~~

In Angelbay, Angie in a board meeting she made to talk about the Collins factory up and running again.

"Maybe we're getting to worked up about this, Angie. I mean they're sprucing up their cannery and renovating their house. So what? We still hold the pink slips on 95 percent of the nets being dragged though the Grand Banks." One of the men said.

"He's right. It doesn't mean anything to our bottom lot." Another agrees.

"Doesn't mean anything? Doesn't mean anything?" A collective gulps from the others are heard as Angie stands and walks to a row of paintings on the wall, all portraits of her, but are slightly different.