[28] Date (1)

Chapter 28: Date (1)

Tsubasa was sitting on a bench, her head down as she looked at her intertwined fingers, lost in thoughts.

Things have been so hectic lately. So many things happened; magic was real; she was a human-vampire-tiger mixed race; and most importantly, her birth mother was suddenly alive, inside her no less. The last three days were very long for Tsubasa.

Amidst all of this, one might think getting asked out by a boy was a forgetful matter, yet Aqua's actions were what made time appear longer. She was asked out for a date, by her liar of a cousin and childhood friend – her childhood crush who had apparently been ignoring all her signals until now.

"Why so suddenly?" She had wondered to herself after Aqua left her house yesterday. "Why now of all times?"

Why did he suddenly feel attracted to her? No, did he feel attracted to her at all, or was he doing this for something else? Just what went through his head, she wondered. But she doubted she'd ever know, given he was such a big liar. He had so many secrets.

Sitting on a bench with her school bag by her side, she received a few passing glances from people noticing that she skipped school.

Some passerby old men shook their heads and said something about this generation being so useless, while some others found nostalgia in the scene. This kind of attention in this situation where she was committing a small crime basically, would have gotten Tsubasa flustered just a few days ago. Now though, she didn't feel any of that.

Perhaps it was the fact that she now knew and had witnessed with her own eyes that magic was real and so was Gods and Devils. In a world where beings of limitless power existed, was there any point in attending school or minding mortals' opinions?

Tsubasa quickly shook her head, muttering, "Not a good thought, let's move on."

She knew there were stars in the distant star systems that could devour our sun, there was a black hole in the center of our galaxy that could devour everything. She never put much thought into it, she didn't feel life was worthless just because those things existed. So what changed now? In the end, these Gods were basically that.

<<That, and you yourself can become like them if you try.>> As if amused by her internal musings, a voice bloomed in her head. <<Stars and Black Holes were things beyond your understanding before, but with your bloodline and my help, you can move ahead and understand them. Likewise, you can wield powers to destroy them. To create more of them. You can become a God as long as you wish. There is no limit to our growth, love.>>

That voice was Hanekawa Shinra, the soul of her mother that resided inside her now. She's been like that the entire time, telling her stuff as if to awaken some sort of greed inside her. Sadly, Tsubasa didn't share the same kind of grand ambition as her, not when this woman was the same one who would have basically taken over her body if not for Aqua's help.

So she ignored her words again, she didn't bother replying. But speaking of Aqua, she looked down at her wristwatch and felt an odd twist in her stomach.

"It's been two hours since I left home... Why is he not here yet?" He couldn't have dumped the date, could he?

Tsubasa told Miyako, her mom, that she'll eat in Ai's house. She left her home half an hour before school would begin saying that, while she messaged Ruby saying she will be leaving early due to some school matters. She lied to both and managed to slip out, it was the first time she had done something like this, all because of Aqua. Yet he was nowhere to be seen even hours later.