Ashlyn

High School Musical had changed Ashlyn's life more than she had ever thought it would. That risk of auditioning had given Ashlyn a group of lifelong friends, an even better relationship with her cousin, and allowed her to believe her song writing could be more than just a hobby but an actual career. The most important thing that production of High School Musical gave her was a best friend that became like a sister to her, and of all people it was the amazing and intimidating dancer girl that oozed confidence. Gina was still Ashlyn's best friend even after everything the last several years had brought. So it came as no surprise when Gina asked Ashlyn to be her Maid of Honor.

The day of the wedding was perfect. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, Ricky was at no risk of being late. The only negative for Ashlyn was the other bridesmaid that was currently in the bridal suite. After Ms. Jenn left to go say hello to Ricky, Kourtney had to step out to make sure Gina's custom wedding dress was up to both Gina and Kourtney's sky high standards. Emmy was busy making sure every other aspect of the wedding was up to snuff. That left Gina and Ashlyn alone...with Maddox.

Things being awkward between the Ashlyn and Maddox could be considered a gross oversimplification. Three months since ending their nearly eight year relationship. To twist the knife a little more, Ricky and Gina only had a few months on Ashlyn and Maddox as a couple and here one of the couples was getting married and the other could barely stand being in the same room. Ashlyn couldn't even bring herself to look at Maddox, the wounds were still too fresh.

So here they were, the ex's and the bride, sitting in awkward silence.

Several minutes went by, no one sure what to say. Thankfully Ashlyn's phone went off, cutting the tension that had built up. The text message was from Emmy and was written in code. After deciphering the code Ashlyn turns to Gina and says, "Emmy's with the band right now. They want to know if there are any songs you want added so they can play them through once or twice." Before Gina can answer another text message from Emmy comes through, "They apparently are also asking if you want to change the song for the first dance."

"There is actually two songs I do want added as a surprise for Ricky," Gina says with a wistful grin, "'Maybe this Time' the first song Ricky and I wrote together, a song that feels especially appropriate today, and 'Gold in the Cracks.' Tell Emmy I sent Jet the music for 'Maybe this Time' and that if he doesn't know Ricky's Grammy Award Winning Song of the Year, he really did not deserve the title of Best Man."

'Gold in the Cracks,' was Ricky's biggest song and won the Grammy for Song of the Year almost two years ago. The album of the same name was nominated for Album of the Year but lost, to ironically Nini's album (but Ricky was still thrilled about her win since he helped write and produce her album). Knowing a bit of the history behind the song it was no surprise to Ashlyn why Gina wanted that particular song added.

Ashlyn giggles as she sends the text to Emmy, "and what about the song for the first dance?"

"No, that song is perfect," Gina states, "there's no other song that could replace it."

"What song is it?" Maddox asks as Ashlyn sends Emmy Gina's reply.

Gina blushes just a tiny bit as she answers, "'Can I Have This Dance?'" Both Ashlyn and Maddox playfully groan at the answer. "It's an important song for us, okay. High School Musical brought us together, we played Troy and Gabriella when we first started dating, it fits us perfectly, and it is literally the perfect song for the first dance," Gina defensively informs her friends. "Also it's my wedding, so hush."

Ashlyn playfully giggles at Gina before saying, "well yeah the whole High School Musical franchise is kind of a big deal for you two. I mean if it weren't for you scheming to try and get Gabriella sophomore year, you and Ricky may never have connected in his car after Homecoming."